Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2004 excursion no crank

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ChrisSki 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. You'll have to bare with me this is my first powerstroke. I have a 2004 excursion I bought about 6 months ago. It has 64k on it and was used to pull a camper in the summer since new. I'm the second owner and love it. About 3 months ago I purchased the sct livewire and 4 inch exhaust. I also purchased 3 looney tunes for non studded motors. Haven't had any trouble and the truck runs great. Last weekend I changed the oil and filters and installed the Pyrometer probe preparing for a trip to Florida next week. Took the truck for a test ride and ran great. Did a few more trips to town thru the day and no problems. I was getting ready to go pickup pizza from town and had the truck idling before I left. Got into leave and the gauges on the tuner weren't reading which has happened before so I shut the truck off and went to restart and all I got was a click from the relay. I looked online for what could have caused it and have come up empty handed. I checked the fuses didn't have any blown. I replaced all of them. Moved the relays around and still nothing. Replaced the ignition switch both battery's and the alternator. Looked all over for rubbed wires found one on the plug closest to the cab for pcm. Wasn't completely cut but I fixed it and still nothing. I did get it to start pulling the wire apart on the passinger side fender and jumping it from the battery. But i guess its in some type of limp mode. No power seems to be stu k in a higher gear and the trans temp gauge isnt registering and th ac compressor wont engage. I tried to check the sct for codes but it wont reconize the the key is on. A good friend of mine pulls the cabs and fixes a lot of the problems with these and he is stumped. It's going to his shop Monday but I wasn't sure if I was missing something I could try over the weekend. I was excited to take it to Florida leaving Tuesday but now I'm thinking we will be taking the wife's edge.

See less See more
#2 ·
what about neutral safety switch?
regardless, you need to pull up a diagram of the circuit (it isn't complex), and break out the dvom.
and stop throwing parts at it! you've already spent hundreds on parts you didn't need

#3 ·
Yeah I know it doesn't take long before it all adds up. The battery's were about 6 years old so figured it was time for new set. I forgot to mention that when I turned The key to on postion everything acts as normal. I also pulled the plug for that fan and that didn't do it. I did try and start it in neutral and move the shifter around. But I will have to check the switch in the morning. Thank you. I was getting ready to admit defeat haha

#4 ·
first thing you need to do is pull up a diagram of the starting circuit. follow the paths from battery, to starter, and back to battery. understand it. without realizing how it works, you can not realize how it won't.
you know the starter, battery, b+ cable, ground, and solenoid wire from underhood to starter are all working order since you can jump it off the battery stud. so you have a control side issue

#5 ·
Hey I sorry I didn't have a chance to work on it til today. I was helping a friend with his kenworth. I read through some diagrams on the starting system which led me to the range sensor. I grounded the brown and pink wire on the pcm. Which should act as the truck should be in park. And hit the key and nothing. A friend brought his snap on scanner over and it wouldn't reconize the key was on. So it's going to the garage tomorrow before I do more damage. Thasks for the help I'll post what they find out.

#6 ·
Spent the entire day at the garage and after testing every damn wire and fuse and circuit in the truck we came up with it needing a new pcm. So I ordered one and will be installing it in the next few days. I'll on vacation so the garage will let me know if the pcm fixed it.

#7 ·
hmmm i am a little weary on that. i haven't seen a whole lot of pcm failures on these trucks. does the starting circuit go through the pcm on an 04?
regardless, keep us updated

#8 ·
Yes it does and it seemed the pcm wouldn't groud the circuit to allow the truck to start. We bypass the truck and ground the brown wire with the pink stripe and it started right up. With the key. Which I did previously but for some reason did not work but it did this time. But the truck was still in a limp mode and the scanner could sense the transmission but nothing for the engine. We opened the wiring harness and followed the starting circuit diagram and all the wires were in good shape and not broken. The range sensor read on the scanner and is fine. As far as we can tell it points to the pcm. But one will not be in til later this week. The part that bothers me is what caused it. I had install the Pyrometer probe about an hour before and when we were going through the wiring the wire for the probe was kinked pretty badly and I'm not sure it that is what shorted the system. I will be ordering a new one just incase. I'll let you know if the pcm solves the mystery.

#9 ·
Yeah that makes sense that it was a shorted PCM... especially since none of the gauges would read right the PCM must not have been communicating.

#10 ·
the pcm grounds the circuit when all criteria are met. by bpassing the pcm you are not actually proving its fault. not saying the pcm isn't the problem. just that it's not absolute at this point

#11 ·
Just wanted to check in. The garage put the new pcm on and the truck is back to normal. They are gowing to continue to look for wires that may have touched to cause the pcm to fail but so far they haven't found anything. If they find anything I'll update you.

#12 ·
Post Deleted

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.