Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Concerned EOT & ECT

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
Let me first say thank you. You all who post and reply here have helped me a ton while I have been working on my truck. I am hoping to solicit some wisdom. I have a 2004 F-350 4x4 SRW 6.0 powerstroke. I bought the truck new, so I know everything that has been done to it. I recently installed an Edge Insight CTS2, and found that my engine coolant temp never goes above 190, usually sits around 186-188. My engine oil temp has gotten up to 225. This is just everyday driving, no towing. Here in Cincinnati, temp is about 90-95 and humid as heck. I fear that this might be a clogged cooler, but not sure it isn't a sticking thermostat. Mods are minor, blue spring kit, and I just flushed the coolant at 100k and installed a coolant filtration device. Never have had any problems with motor, trying to make sure I dont have any. I would appreciate some of you guys' wisdom on this.

#2 ·
Sounds like it's time for a thermostat and a bulletproofdiesel oil cooler.

#3 ·
I would start with a thermostat but that still won't help your deltas. Chances are you probably dislodged some crap when you did the coolant flush and now it clogged the oil cooler. This happens a lot. I would get a new oem thermostat and back flush the oil cooler really well and see where you're at. Just make sure you do it very thorough and remove BOTH block plugs! Then if your deltas are still no good, you'll at least have a clean cooling system that won't clog the new cooler. Remember the way to check deltas is once it's up to operating temp (ect 190), flat level road unloaded 65 mph or 1900 rpms if you have gears other than 3:73

Edit: treed by port

#4 ·
Backflush the cooler. If that doesnt help its time for a new oil cooler like the others said

#6 ·
I made the run this morning. Followed the 1900 rpm @65 mph, 12-15miles on as flat a highway as we have here in Cincinnati. ECT stayed on 188 and peaked to 190 occasionally. The EOT climbed to a max of 230. I bought a thermostat and am going to replace tomorrow. 3 questions: First I have read people talking in here about the fan kicking on at EOT 220 and that you can hear it. I don't think I have ever heard a distinct noise that would tell me the fan came on. Second is I was wondering if the Edge Insight needs to be calibrated or could be off? It will periodically change gauges on me. Lastly, if I have to buy a new oil cooler (ugh!), who makes the best one besides BPD? Thank you for your help.

#7 ·
The fan kicks on based on coolant temp not oil temp. I doubt the edge is off, you could check for a bad sensor though. Let it sit for a day or two and see what your EOT and ect are before starting it. They should be very close together like a degree or two. For oil cooler, either BPD air to oil cooler or oem. Nothing else. You can of course do a relocation from either BPD or IPR but make sure the cooler itself is oem if you go that route. Autonation ford white bear lake (former Tousley Ford) has the best price. @fordsvtparts

Reactions: fordsvtparts
#10 ·
Your deltas are out of spec, as you know.
I second White Bear Lake for parts... Great service, good prices.
Yes, while you have the labor invested in it, dealing with the EGR is appropriate.
If you have inspections, there is no other reasonable option than the Bullet Proof Diesel EGR cooler.
No inspections? It is a federal offense, but the chances of getting caught are slim to none, and your engine will thank you. Delete that engine clogging monster, and get a tune that disables the EGR and the CEL you'll get in your 04.
Before this work, flush with Restore. Follow the directions on the bottle. Then after, flush with distilled, and fill up with a Cat rated ELC. Shell Ultra or Delo XLC come to mind.

#11 ·
I have an intact/hardened EGR system with the EGR valve location blocked by an aluminum spool. My functioning valve is plugged in and zip-tied in the valley. If I need to bring it online, it would take me about five minutes on the roadside. Not even.

I just mention the configuration because some don't know about doing it that way and it could be the right thing for them.

#12 · (Edited)
eot is monitored by the pcm closely and should kick the fan on. for an 04, that may not be until a higher temp than you got it to, but it will. it may depend on the pcm calibration. or your fan just may not be operable.
also, 04 will not set a mil with egr deleted. it will set a p0401, but no mil.
06+ sets a mil on for the p0401

#14 ·
CEL = mil = check engine light/malfunction indicator light

Some error codes are soft codes. They get logged for pulling later, but don't set a dash indicator. Others set the CEL/mil.

You can run with codes as long as the reason for the code is not causing damage or disrupting operation. Most emissions codes don't matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.