Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

EGR cooler or...

509 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  redneckracerx 
#1 ·
It seems like I've been on here more than normal. Unfortunately its because everything is breaking down! Our 07 F350 started whistling from the degas the other day. I checked it and it was 2 gallons low, which suprised me because i just serviced it. I topped off the system and drove it. It seemed to be ok but when I came back to the shop it started whistling again along with coolant on the degas that came from the cap. Now for the fun part. The truck currently has 226k on it. At 129k we did ARP studs, gaskets, BPD HD air to oil cooler kit and BPD EGR cooler. I know nothing is ever truly "bulletproof" but I thought I'd be done with these issues on this truck. Is there somewhere else I should look or just go thru it like a regular truck?

#2 ·
It's unlikely that the BPD EGR cooler has failed, but anything is possible. I'd say it's more likely to be head gaskets. Since you did gaskets almost 100k ago, were they Black Onyx gaskets? If so, that is more indication that it may be gaskets. They were some pretty significant problems with them. Were the heads milled and trued when the work was done? When was the last time you changed out the degas bottle cap? It's possibly just weak.

#3 ·
We send our heads out to UCF machine shop every time they come off so I know they were gone thru properly. I looked back at our records and it only shows that we got fel-pro gaskets, I don't even have a P/N. This was back in April of 2012 so I honestly don't remember what they looked like. I pulled the EGR valve and I have nice fluffy soot. no moisture or puddling after going thru a cool down on a decline. I did a degas bottle and cap back before the cylinder heads. So that's been on there a while. I'm gonna throw a cap on it and see where that takes me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.