Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 wont run worth a crap help

3K views 26 replies 8 participants last post by  LoxDiesel 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I accidentally posted this in the site general forum as its been a while since I've been on the site i gave up on throwing money at my truck and let it sit for a year. So if the mods wanna remove it for me please it would be appreciated. So I have a 2003 f-350 I rebuilt the motor a couple years ago after i kept blowing head gaskets and had the block machined flat. The machine shop milled the heads unevenly leaving #7 cylinder open due to the push rod not being able to close the valve all the way. Truck ran good for a year and a half then all of a sudden i get a hydro-lock coolant filled #2 cylinder. Pull the heads get them checked and look at the gaskets, the gaskets(fel-pro) look perfect the machine shop says heads "passed pressure test" throw the heads on fire the truck up and take it for a drive runs great shut it down and Boom hydro-locked again... wtf so I pull the glow plugs turn it over coolant in #2 again. The machine shop made me think it was a hole in the block. Took the heads back to the shop and demanded a retest and found an extremely rare scenario apparently there was a leaking glow plug sleeve on #2 cylinder. So mean while I found a 2005 motor with an nadp heavy hauler transmission behind it. Truck had 180,000 km on it and the transmission had 15,000 km on it. Bought the motor and trans for 5g. The motor had 250 hp injectors in it (guessing 190cc) and o-ringed heads. I opened the motor up just to make sure all is well. Looks good I get everything together and put my 155/stock injectors in just recently polished the spool valves on them before putting them back in. Put the motor in the truck takes a little longer to prime the oil system then I remember from the last rebuild. Truck fires up sounds good let it run for 2-3 minutes shut it down. Throw the rest of the front end together and pull it out of the shop. Take it for a drive down the driveway maybe half mile get back to the yard and the truck is completely gutless literally doesn't want to move. Sounds like its missing and kind of loping. Push the gas pedal down and it doesn't even react. Manage to get it back into the shop and go in for the night had enough for the day. Go out the next morning fire the truck up takes a couple cranks but purs like a kitten let it idle for a good 5 minutes and then it revs up a bit on its own and then drops down and starts loping/missing like when I came back to the yard. Put it in gear and it really lugs down like it's almost about to die push the gas pedal and no reaction whatsoever wont even move nor make a change in engine sound mean while it will rev up in neutral. So I let it lope for a couple minutes and unplug the icp sensor. Truck seems to level out and idles considerably better leave it for a couple minutes and it slowly starts to lope again not as bad. I checked the codes first thing when i fired it up cold not a single code. As soon as it revs up and drops down I get contribution codes. It jumped from #2 to #7 to #4 and #5 all contribution codes but never 2 codes at a time I,ll clear the codes and a different one will come up each time. Its like it's bouncing around each cylinder. So I changed out the icp sensor no change. Changed the Ipr no change. Fire the truck up again and it's now bouncing between #4 and #5 contribution codes. I made a fitting out of an old icp to pressure test the hpo system. And Found Gurgling in the Oil Filter stand pipe and vapor. I read that this usually means the hpop is shot I can't get the hpo system to hold any air it all leaks down through the oil filter stand pipe. I myself thinking it's a weak hpop. Any ideas whats going on here. Sorry for such a long story but tried to give as much background as i could. Forgot to add ICP is showing around 680 at idle and Ipr is roughly 30%

Chad

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks sparky for bringing this thread to their attention I've heard a lot of good about these two. Thanks for the response Kaya. Yes it's an 05 motor in an 03 truck. I used my 2003 harness and moved the icp over to the valve cover. I have the updated stc fitting and also the updated dummy plugs and stand pipes.

#5 ·
Do you think it could be any of the sensors on the motor? I noticed a couple of the sensors have different part numbers I couldn't say whether or not there is a difference between them? :dunno: I just don't know where to go from here. I've read that guys have swapped 05 motors in to the older trucks without problems that I've heard. I never heard the motor run before i bought it as it didn't have an ficm or multiple parts that would allow it to run. I've done all the work on my previous motor less the rebuild but I'm pretty tech savvy and can usually figure out what is going on with it but this has got me stumped. Thanks for any future replies.

Chad

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply nighthawk I think I'm going to pull the pump and air test it on the bench and see. The oil system should be sealed if it is draining back to the oil cooler/stand pipe at 120 psi I could only fathom what is going on at 2000-4000 psi. I changed the ipr screen before i put the motor back in the truck and when i Pulled it again to change it there was a bunch of crap and what looks like metal shavings in the new screen. Is that not a tell tale sign the pump is going? Thanks again.

Chad

#8 ·
So I took a look at the oil cooler from the 05 motor (I put my 03 oil cooler on this 05 motor) and there was a napa gold oil filter cap. I heard that the after market oil caps cause the oil not to be filtered properly before being sent to the hpop is this true?

#10 ·
Well son of a gun that's a very interesting video nighthawk that could be another reason I have a bunch of junk on my new ipr screen it's the leftovers in the motor from his junk oil cap causing the oil filter to not operate properly. Which is more ammunition to think my hpop is weak or is on its way out. Let me know your thoughts everyone I'm tearing down to the the hpop to bench test it.

#11 ·
Okay so I got to the pump hooked up air and same results I'm not getting any air leaking from either side of the heads just in the oil filter stand pipe. So I pulled the pump and put it in the vice made a fitting to supply air to the stc side of the pump and it gurgles from the intake side (low pressure side) turn the pump a little and it seals then turn it a little more and air starts coming back out of the intake. I saw a very similar video on you tube here it is only my truck will run... like crap. I took two videos of me testing the pump myself but my internet sucks so it might not be up til later tonight. thanks again guys let me know what you think of that video on youtube.

#12 ·
There is a recent thread here with the same issue. It was the pump. I'll see if I can find it.

#14 ·
If you could find that thread g8 that would be awesome. Lox I have a home built rr kit just like nate's (windrunner) he's the one I got the parts list for it. I blew all the lines out while doing the swap I have a fass pump and auto meter fuel pressure gauge the regulator is turned up to 70 psi right now because I thought it would make a difference. But nothing changed so fuel is good I also changed the filters right before I even cranked it over since the swap and put all new diesel in drained all the old. Thanks for the responses guys keep them coming. I think I'm going to order a pump from white bear as ford in canada wants $1400 for a pump and I get a discount too.

#15 ·
Reactions: G8orFord
#18 ·
Yep, that's the one. I didn't look at the video he linked, but I figured it might be the same one.
@kaya, he did say that IPR was at about 30% at idle and ICP was 680. Though I didn't get whether that was cold or hot. Isn't that a little high either way?

#16 ·
Wow this is crazy I can't believe how close together our pumps crapped out. Thanks for posting that thread jokester I've been stumped on this for a while and thought I could figure it out myself but I was wrong. I was under the impression like most other people that the newer style hpop rarely fails. But it seems like everything rare that can happen to a 6.0 has happened to me. Thanks for all the replies everyone I'm going to order a pump tomorrow and see how it goes I pray this fixes my problem. It will probably be a couple days till it gets here. I hope my injectors aren't pooched from this weak pump like fourtyftw. Thanks again everyone.

Chad.

#17 · (Edited)
but, your problem doesn't appear to be icp related. am i missing something? personally, i don't think that pump has anything wrong with it. if youbench tested 5 used 05 hpops, you'd probably get the same gurgling through the suction side at certain rotation. hearing air bleed back through into the cooler doesn't actually qualify a bad pump.
personally, with contribution codes jumping around, i'd probably be more inclined to look towards the ficm. or even the pcm, since you're running the 03 unit in there. they have quite different programming. not saying that's the problem. but it is a possibility

#19 · (Edited)
in this case, you'd wanna check ipr dc with foot to the floor; when there is no throttle response, as op described. if ipr is maxing out, that's always the indicator of an hpo/lpo issue. whether itbe a leak, failed pump, base oil...anything. that pretty much goes for any actuator. if it's maxing out, it's a dead giveaway of a problem.
03 pcm requires a vgt learn. maybe it hasn't relearned? maybe why it's gutless? maybe something happened when the injectors were reconditioned?
in any case, i don't see a reason to be looking at hpo here. unless there is something that has not been explained.
i know if it were my truck, i'd be wanting to run the pcm that was programmed for that engine. no inferred ebp, no vgt learn, also designed to run that pump, which is a much higher output than the early pump. again, not saying it is the problem here, but i would feel more comfortable with it personally.
what about ficm voltage when the problem is occuring? that could cause all these issues. you did say the truck sat for a year. that can be hard on the ficm. maybe start by running a buzz test. don't pay so much attention to whether it passes the test either. pay more attention to the tone of each buzz and making sure they are even

#20 ·
Hey everyone I watched fourtyftw's video again and read in the description that his new pump did leak a very minimal amount of air throughout the entire rotation of the pump like barely noticeable. I finally got a video up on youtube here don't mind my brother in the background. When the truck was running cold icp was at 550-580 and ipr was at 25% as soon as it warmed up and did it's little rev up everything kinda jumped up a bit. I put air to the pump on the bench and when the pump was turned to the point where you couldn't hear any air coming out of the inlet side there was a very minimal amount that was coming through you have to put your finger over the hole to notice it and when I covered the inlet hole air would leak out around the shaft seal behind the gear. I checked my ficm all the voltages are good and i've never had a problem its ran like a top when it does run since i've owned it. I used my harness from my 2003 motor all I did was move the location of the icp sensor I know the harnesses are different (pinned differently for pcm). I changed the front cover over from my 2003 to retain my bullet proof water pump. Ficm harness is brand new i thought my old harness was shot but now i have 3 total. The crankshaft and cam position sensors are the same between motors. I don't know what else to think.

Chad.

#21 ·
Everything in the first post would lead me to IPR valve. Would explain pretty much all the issues. That's where I would have started. Replace the IPR and retest. Since the pump and valve are out now just replace them both to be sure and retest. The air backfeeding through the oil filter housing will only mean 2 things...bad IPR (not sealing) or bad pump. To be positive on the IPR or pump tho one needs to use an IPR that's welded shut to dead head the system. Again reading the first post I would lean towards IPR. I wouldn't worry to much about the harnesses and year differences on the trucks. The sled pull truck we sponsor is running an 06 motor with 03 HPOP system. Also those awesome oil filter videos were made like 8 years ago. Most of the company's have rectified the issues they had when they rolled those out.....but I really don't want this to get into a filter debate....just saying.

#24 ·
I saw that he said he already changed out the IPR in the first post?

I'm sure there was some standard OEM propaganda in those filter vids as well, but it helps provide a visual to the big "OMG you're using an aftermarket filter and that's bad m'kay" posts that litter the boards.

#25 ·
Like I said OP....the pumps out so I would be replacing it especially with 2 different valves netting the same issue. Also those "250hp" injectors may have tapped that pump out from the previous owners abuse. I missed the swaps IPR in the first post. I would be replacing the pump and re-testing.

#26 ·
Thanks for the reply toren I kinda thought changing the valves with the same avail it couldn't be the ipr. I think the guy had the motor pretty hopped up as the guy i bought it off of said there was 250 hp injectors and nadp transmission, welded solid up pipes (58v ficm, banks inter-cooler with piping, driven diesel regulated return, fass pump, 0-ringed heads, livewire ts) components in brackets unfortunately didn't come with the truck and had a cracked piston when i opened the motor of which i changed all 8 and new bearings just to be safe. I'm gonna order a pump right after I post this and hopefully this fixes my problem. Thanks everyone.

Chad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.