Powerstroke Pulsing during slow acceleration? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Powerstroke Pulsing during slow acceleration?

Hi Everybody! I just bought a 04 F350 with the 6.0 and 114,000mi. I took it hunting and had to make a river crossing (didn't look to deep) needless to say i hit a deep spot and had water come over the hood, it sucked water and the truck died. I got it started and it struggled for a little while but it finally stopped white smoking and we got the filter dry. The truck was running normal (as normal as I could tell only owning it since last tuesday) I drove it to a friends house later that night with a round trip of about 60-70 miles and it ran flawlessly. Today when I drove it, it ran fairly normal, had plenty of power but when if I accelerate slow-normal the truck surges as it accelerates . It doesn't happen while holding speed or while accelerating quickly. The truck never threw any engine lights and didn't throw a water in the fuel light. Do I just need to bear with it for a little bit? it also has a random rough spot in the idle but it doesn't happen too frequent. I've swamped my 360 gas im my dodge 1/2 ton before and it took about a week for the truck to start running 100% normal again.
Can anyone help me out please?
I've done my share of work on gas motors but this is my first diesel and I'm pretty much clueless, I know the basic mechanics but that's about it. Also I've heard that there is a water separator in the fuel filter with a drain at the the bottom of it but i have no Idea where it is.

Please Help!
Thanks!!

BTW Truck is stock with the exception of a PTO control computer that was in it when I bought it but I haven't touched it

Last edited by metalmulishamunky; 10-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
so you just started it right back up after taking in water???
Old 10-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it took a little bit to get it started, we tried it a couple times then let it sit about 30-45 min then tried it again and it fired right up but didn't have any power, we pulled the filter cause it was soaked and the truck ran crappy for about another 20 min, then it seemed to run normal, we drove it about 10 miles with the filter out the window to dry it and re-installed it when it was dry and the truck started running normal, and ran normal all night. today is when i noticed the surging during slow accel. Could I have a dirty EGR?

Last edited by metalmulishamunky; 10-04-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
Do you have AE or other scan tool?

Change all the fluids, oil/filter, fuel filters, air filter, and probably differentials if you are concerned anout the gaskets on the covers
Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no I don't have a scan tool
I don't think anything got contaminated
Ford says a chunk of carbon might have broken loose and got stuck in the EGR, other than that they just recommended changing the air filter and running it a little bit just to make sure
Old 10-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke Techie

did you remove and drain your charge air cooler? They have been known to hold water after it gets sucked in.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i thought we got to pretty dry but I guess not, I pulled it today after work and drove it about 2mi and the surging was gone, i put it back in and it started again but not as bad.

I'm gonna replace it and hopefully it will fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.