Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

belt squeal after belt change

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  kaya 
#1 ·
hi guys

just changed the belt tensioner and the belt on my 6.0 yesterday - everything is all quiet and good but this morning i noticed i'm still hearing the belt squeal when the engine is cold

sound is gone when all warmed up

what could be causing the issue?

thank you,

#3 ·
Luckily the belts not too hard to take off. Do any of they pulleys have any play when wiggled, or not spin freely.

#4 ·
Sometimes water pump pulley needs cleaned and buffed up a little,to keep new belt from making some noise.

#6 ·
you sure it's the belt? a cracked y pipe or leaking exhaust manifold/gasket can make a high pitch squeal as well

#7 ·
yea im sure it was the belt - changed out the belt and a lot of whine went away but still have this squeal

a bit of testing - the squeal only happens when the turbo spools at like 5-10psi+ so im guessing it is a cracked y pipe

if it was a leaking exhaust manifold/gasket i would assume it would make the squeal when im holding the throttle or driving in city without any load that would make the turbo spool? im not 100% sure

#8 ·
soooo it's not the belt.
check for soot on the firewall. run your fingers up there from underneath and see if they come back black. check to see if you have exhaust manifold gaskets while you're under there. if you do, check for soot blown out of the runners

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.