EGR delete, Oil cooler Replace tips - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR delete, Oil cooler Replace tips

Bought the Liberator EGR delete kit and the oil cooler rebuild kit and preparing for the tear down this weekend.

I bought new intake manifold gaskets, oil cooler rebuild kit, updated turbo oil drain, turbo oil feed gasket, 2 up pipe gaskets.

My question is this, everything seems pretty straight forward but I am a little confused on how to pull the front radiator shroud off. When I did my serpentine belt I left it on.

Is there any other gaskets I missed? Anything else I should take care of while in there?

Plan on buying the coolant filter kit once this work is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 06:33 AM

draw the oil down in the HPOP res. replace the screen. Dont pull the Turbo, It'll save you a bunch of time. the intake can be removed easily by removing the compressor housing only, it makes it a bit harder to deal with the y pipe etc. but can be done, I do it all the time.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:36 AM

don't I have to remove the turbo to replace the turbo oil drain tube?

what is HPOP res?

How do I remove the radiator shroud?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scha0786 View Post
don't I have to remove the turbo to replace the turbo oil drain tube?

what is HPOP res?

How do I remove the radiator shroud?
Opps, ya you'll need to pull the turbo to replace the drain tube, I was referring to replacing the egr cooler only, you're wanting a delete. I should read more carefully

the high pressure oil resirvoir is right under the oil cooler, there is a screen on the left side that should be checked, cleaned and/or replaced-usually falls apart when you try to clean it.

two bolts in the top of the shroud, yank the radiator, self explaining from there.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:34 AM

Just wondering why you were pulling the shroud? the piece on the pass side top comes off pretty easy and gives you room to work. you'll see where it snaps onto the shroud.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:05 AM

yeah i guess thats all I need to remove for the shroud.

I went to motocraft service.com and paid the 11 dollars to view all the workshop manuals. i am feeling fairly confident in this but still a little nervous with replacing the turbo oil drain tube (exactly 21.8mm blah blah bla) and rebuilding the oil cooler ( a lot of gaskets).

Checked the local shop and just for a intake manifold swap they wanted roughly 8 hrs labor plus labor for the oil cooler rebuild. Were talking over a thousand to isntall plus the cost of their over inflated parts.

i will keep my struggle updated throughout the weekend, wish me the best.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:16 AM

Ran into a snag on the project, got everything done last night and fired er' up. Motor ran great but had a substantial leak on the up pipe, where it bolts to the turbo. Anyone have a suggestion on how to get this lined up correctly?

Gonna unbolt the up pipes at the manifolds, then clamp the y-pipe on the turbo first, then bolt done the up pipes on the manifolds. Hope this works.

Plus the bucket I used to drain the coolant had a hole in the bottom so I can't test drive until monday anywas, which sucks!

Other then that, the project was pretty striaght forward.

Two tips:
- have a friend help, nice to have two hands lifting turbo and manifold out/in.
-Removing the passenger side inner fender is a huge plus to getting the solid up pipe out/in (thanks to whoever gave me that tip!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.