Oil Issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Issue?

I just changed the oil on my truck and the next day, the truck started to run like crap. When I turned it on the morning it started shaking real bad but calmed down within 5 seconds. After letting the truck idle for a couple of minutes, decided to drive off, but I didnt have any power. It felt like a had a couple of injectors missing and it would not accelerate at all. Decided to park truck and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Afterwards truck ran like a champ and for the rest of the day. It did this the next morning as well. Has never done this before. I have a 2005 F-350 with about 102,000 miles. I used Motorcraft oil filter with Delo 400LE 15W40. Also changed both fuel filters with motorcraft filters. Need some advice out of warranty and its real dangerous to get on the road because the truck doesnt accelerate till it warms up fully.
post #2 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefx4 View Post
I have a 2005 F-350 with about 102,000 miles. I used Motorcraft oil filter with Delo 400LE 15W40.
Get rid of that 15W40 oil and change it to 10W30 CJ-4 engine oil from Ford. Also check to have it reflashed to the latest calibration level if available. These engines like 10W30 oil better, which is why I use it all year round now on all oil changes that come into my bay.

http://www.yorkdaleford.com/service.html

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks a lot. Could the weight of the oil be causing this problem or could it be something else?
post #4 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefx4 View Post
OK thanks a lot. Could the weight of the oil be causing this problem or could it be something else?
These trucks seem to run better overall with the 10W30 oil. They start easier, warm up quicker during the colder climates, seem to get better fuel economy, and exhibit far fewer injector failures. Reflashing the modules plays a big role in the injectors' strategy.

http://www.yorkdaleford.com/service.html

Ford Diesel/Senior/Master Tech who placed 2nd overall in Ontario on the Fix-It-Right-First-Visit score for 2010

....who works at a dealership that now employs SOME half decent looking female employees since they overhauled most of the administrative staff

....but STILL loves hot women with big boobies

....and STILL hates working on E-Series with 6.0L
post #5 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
question, is there a synthetic version of the 10/30 CJ-4 that you know of. Currently I'm using 5/40 mobil one synthetic and she seems to run very will with this. I tow pretty heavy loads sometimes, and the manual indicates to use 15/40 when towing. What is your experience with using 10/30 and towing?

Chuckles

07 F350 King Ranch. SCT by Innovative!! 4" Magnaflow Turboback, Coolant Fiter System, ARP Studs, Sneaky Pipe by Elite Diesel.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

From my experience with oils in diesels (VWs), a 5w40 has treated me better than a 10w30. Better cold weather start-up and better protection for the cam and lifters. Either way, a 15w40 is a bit thick for cold start-ups on the PSDs.

1991 Volkswagen Jetta 1.6TD ECOdiesel -- 423,000 miles
2003 Ford F-350 6.0 -- 131,000 miles
1987 Mercedes-Benz 300SDL -- 307,500 miles

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle TDI (RIP)
1987 Mercedes-Benz 190D 2.5 Turbo (sold)

Helpful Links:
6.0 no-start | 6.0 turbo reconditioning | Test your coolant!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode