Oil Issue? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Issue?

I just changed the oil on my truck and the next day, the truck started to run like crap. When I turned it on the morning it started shaking real bad but calmed down within 5 seconds. After letting the truck idle for a couple of minutes, decided to drive off, but I didnt have any power. It felt like a had a couple of injectors missing and it would not accelerate at all. Decided to park truck and let it idle for about 10 minutes. Afterwards truck ran like a champ and for the rest of the day. It did this the next morning as well. Has never done this before. I have a 2005 F-350 with about 102,000 miles. I used Motorcraft oil filter with Delo 400LE 15W40. Also changed both fuel filters with motorcraft filters. Need some advice out of warranty and its real dangerous to get on the road because the truck doesnt accelerate till it warms up fully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefx4 View Post
I have a 2005 F-350 with about 102,000 miles. I used Motorcraft oil filter with Delo 400LE 15W40.
Get rid of that 15W40 oil and change it to 10W30 CJ-4 engine oil from Ford. Also check to have it reflashed to the latest calibration level if available. These engines like 10W30 oil better, which is why I use it all year round now on all oil changes that come into my bay.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK thanks a lot. Could the weight of the oil be causing this problem or could it be something else?
Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiefx4 View Post
OK thanks a lot. Could the weight of the oil be causing this problem or could it be something else?
These trucks seem to run better overall with the 10W30 oil. They start easier, warm up quicker during the colder climates, seem to get better fuel economy, and exhibit far fewer injector failures. Reflashing the modules plays a big role in the injectors' strategy.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
question, is there a synthetic version of the 10/30 CJ-4 that you know of. Currently I'm using 5/40 mobil one synthetic and she seems to run very will with this. I tow pretty heavy loads sometimes, and the manual indicates to use 15/40 when towing. What is your experience with using 10/30 and towing?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via ICQ to VeeDubTDI Send a message via AIM to VeeDubTDI Send a message via MSN to VeeDubTDI Send a message via Yahoo to VeeDubTDI
From my experience with oils in diesels (VWs), a 5w40 has treated me better than a 10w30. Better cold weather start-up and better protection for the cam and lifters. Either way, a 15w40 is a bit thick for cold start-ups on the PSDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.