stuttering/rough idle - frustrated - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question stuttering/rough idle - frustrated

My 2006 6.0L w/78K miles has lately been plagued with an intermittent rough idle situation. The problems I am experiencing are rough idle, stuttering off-idle, very limited power and extended upshifts.

I can't seem to put my finger on the triggers, but I would swear it was temperature related. I know it sounds silly, but it's really the only thing that has changed. Overnight temps were in the 60's last week, and that's when I started having problems.

I seemed to notice the problem after driving short distances, stopping and then starting again, before the engine fully warmed up.

After more "intense" driving (highway) the problem seems to go away.

One other thing I should mention - the last tank of fuel was 100% biodiesel. The idling problem seemed to be the absolute worst when I was very low on fuel (Saturday). In fact, the low fuel light was on. I filled the tank up (diesel), and still had the idling issue. After a quick bolt down the highway, no more rough running.

Now, I'm no stranger to fueling issues with biodiesel. If my problem weren't so intermittent, I would suspect fuel filters. However, they were both replaced at the beginning on this month.

Over the weekend, temps warmed up (90's yesterday), and this morning, I did not notice anything except a slight rough idle.

I was planning to get the truck into the shop today, but I held off because I didn't want to waste time with a "cannot reproduce" situation.

History: this truck received a new turbo last month. I towed a 4000lb trailer about 3000 miles earlier this month. Performed flawlessly, but toward the end of the trip, I noticed a faint coolant smell. I have since replaced the coolant reservoir cap and haven't really noticed it. Coolant level is at MIN, and I have not tried to find traces of dried coolant anywhere.

Also, I have been running custom SCT tunes from Innovative Diesel. I was running the street tune, which I removed on Friday. This did not seem to make a difference, nor did applying the tune (weeks ago) coincide with the problems appearing.

Thanks in advance for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
can you monitor sensors/pids??
Old 09-28-2009, 05:30 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

It sounds like a dirty egr valve.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:06 PM

Well today the dealer replaced the FICM. Some final testing tomorrow, but it appears to have done the trick.

The symptoms they troubleshot on the scanner or computer (or whatever they used) were dropping of #1 and #2 cylinders. They were thinking bad injectors, but then the engine started misfiring on other cyls.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:08 PM

I forgot about the FICM. Hopefully that did the trick for ya.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:56 AM

Plot thickens today. After FICM replacement, still showing 2 bad injectors. So they are replacing those.

What concerns me is that yesterday the tests were showing other injectors were bad as well.

I'm not feeling as confident about the repairs, but what can I do. Time will tell, I suppose.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:04 PM

More news...

After replacing #1 and #2 injector and FICM, engine is dropping an injector on the other side of the engine. Will have to wait until next week for the repairs. At least it's all under warranty, but I'm kinda wondering why the injectors are all failing.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:05 PM

That is weird. I have heard of a couple of guys that have had the same issues, but its not that common. I wonder if they can tell when they pull them what happened to them.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

just a thought but take a good luck over your wiring harness and those stubborn *** conectors on the ficm. Check to make sure that theres no corrosion or bent pins.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:58 AM

Wouldn't the dealer scanner/computer be reading low pressure, if the condition existed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.