Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

injector cup tool

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  jlaudiofan 
#1 ·
Hey folks. I think I need to pull my #7 injector cup. The injector died, had combustion buildup on the bottom and was starting to torch the oring. Got a new injector, the old one still had the copper o-ring, but it sure looks like there is still a copper washer in there, or not. Hard to tell, there's so much carbon. Looks like it's cracked. I am either making progress with getting the copper out or making progress in destroying the injector cup.

I figure I should probably just replace the cup and be done with it... but 350 bucks is pretty steep for a tool I will probably only use once.

Anyone got one to rent?

#6 ·
at 6 o'clock is that a piece of carbon?
I think it's a piece of o-ring. I ran a 20gauge copper brush around down there some, but it's not exactly ideal. This will be the 2nd time putting a new injector in there, and both had combustion evidence above the copper washer which cause failure. I don't want the same thing to happen again, so any advice would be appreciated.

#7 ·
scotch brite pad on the end of a drill works well. i think last time i taped the pad to the end of a pushrod and chucked it up. use some clean engine oil on the pad and use a slower speed. you can throw an appropriate sized punch down the hole to keep the crap out of the cylinder while you blow out the debris. maybe sounds crude but hey, sometimes gotta do what you gotta do

#9 ·
Sounds like a good thing to try. Will do it today.

That cup looks pretty rough to me, I've never paid attention to them that much to know if that looks normal or not though.
It does look rough, but like you said I haven't really paid attention either. I have extra o-ring kits, I think I am going to pull another injector and take a peek down the hole to see what the bottom of another cup looks like.

#8 ·
That cup looks pretty rough to me, I've never paid attention to them that much to know if that looks normal or not though.

#10 · (Edited)
I cleaned the bottom of the injector up some, looks a bit better. I still think I need to replace it, but right now that's not a financially viable option, with an expensive tool. I'll run this injector for a week, and pull it to inspect the washer seal (and replace with a new copper washer).

Here's what it looks like after a little scotch brite and 150 grit on a hand turned custom made sanding block:

**EDIT** Disregard this photo. Check the next post for the correct photo.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.