Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Very little boost and air "wooshing" sound on driver's side

7K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  krazyk 
#1 ·
2005 F250 6.0 King Ranch. I just had this torn apart and did the HPOP STC fitting upgrade. I had this problem before I tore it down and just wanted to get some opinions on what you guys think. I am only getting about 8psi max on my boost. I have a wooshing sound on my drivers side when I get down on the throttle. No power and very little boost. Does this sound like my y-pipe is leaking? All of my boots and clamps are good, actually I replaced the boots with new factory ones. I am hoping that is what it is.

#2 ·
Do you have the plastic cold side CAC pipe? They are prone to split, but usually don't cause a whoosh sound. Could be the y-pipe or bellows. You can get under the truck and look to see if there is a soot buildup on the firewall and pipes. Some have wrapped the bellows with tin foil and ran it a while to see if any soot shows up on the foil. Another method to check for turbine side leaks is to power brake the truck and stab the throttle while someone watches for black smoke under the hood. Just don't let them stand in front of the truck.

#4 ·
ditto on the plastic cac. you'll usually notice it as an oil leak down low near the steering box area

#8 ·
I just had a similar issue with a whooshing sound as boost got over about 10 psi. Turned out to be the cold side CAC tube at the top off the down side of the elbow. It wasn't as obvious as the attached pic shows but opened up more when I stuck my finger through it. Really thin POS plastic tube.

Attachments

#9 ·
Im with the guys that say the up pipe connection since you had the turbo out. If you leave the 4 turbo pedestal bolts super loose and the 3 turbo mount bolts barely started, it makes it much easier to line up the up pipe and exhaust connections. I hated having to loosen the manifold/up pipe bolts and started trying the loose pedestal bolts trick. Much easier to get to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.