Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What could cause a temporary no start, but no engine codes?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Deagle44 
#1 ·
I was towing my 11,000 pound toy hauler today. Climbed the Questa Grade n/b near San Luis Obispo. EGTs were steady at 1100 degrees during the climb, boost steady at 27 psi, 45-50 mph, stock engine temp gauge was normal until a few hundred feet from the summit and then quickly began rising. I backed off on the throttle and the engine temp slowly started falling and then I reached the summit 10 seconds later.

Starting the decent I used the brakes, triggering the tranny to grab a gear and hold it to help me maintain a slow speed. Shortly after the engine fan shut back off. When the road leveled off I added some throttle to maintain my speed, but it had no affect on RPMs, and the truck continued to slow. No check engine light was on... dash looked completely normal. Tried the go-pedal several more times, but it had no affect. Coasted off the road, RPMs continued to drop with speed until I had no power steering/brakes and came to a stop.

Shifted to park and tried to start.... cranked over strong, but wouldn't run. On inspection it had puked a small amount of coolant. Everything else was normal. Grabbed my SCT, found no codes. Returned to stock tune. Still cranked but wouldn't run. Then got on the phone calling for a tow. Just after getting the tow on the way I tried it again and it started with no fuss.

Drove home another 125 miles with no issues. Any idea what caused this?

See less See more
#3 ·
Subscribed, what an odd problem to have! I am curious..:dunno:

#6 ·
hmm, I don't know, wonder if the temp had something to do with it. Like a failsafe cutoff. Did it run any after the temp spiked?

#8 ·
Well.... no word on what caused the temporary no-start condition, but they figured out the over heating. Head gaskets. The dealer gave me the option of ARP studs, so I'll pay the extra cost and have the dealer put them in.

I sure hope this gets me back on track... this truck was very good to me for 60k miles, but in the last 5k its had the lower 1/2 of the block removed to fix an oil leak, gotten a new oil cooler, new turbo, and now new head gaskets. :(

#9 ·
yep, mine too. Not the lower end, but hg's, oil cooler, egr, and sct fitting at 55k. Got ARP's done also. Should be good from then on. I would delete your EGR system also.

#10 ·
Our Rescue Squad just got an 04 E350 with a 6.0. It sometimes stalls and does no-start w/no codes. Scares us who trust our trucks. I know the 6.0 is unreliable. I DON'T know how it got authorized for emergency use. I cranked and the sacn showed 180-200rpm and all other sensing seemed ok in realtime scan. Where I come from diesels have lines,injectors and a pump. Frame-mounted electric fuelpump was very noisy and I changed it & the filter. New to this, I'll ask for simple-to-complex list of causes. The rig is dead in the garage now. Police will now need to follow us to pick up transport if the rig stalls.

#11 ·
Thought I'd post an update. The check engine light started coming on during towing. I attempted to pull the codes with my SCT again, but found none. Went to the dealer and their code reader must be completely superior to the SCT X3, because they pulled many codes, all related to the FICM. They replaced the FICM and all is good. No engine check light and no more unexplained no-starts.

#12 ·
Check the voltage at your ICP sensor, just need a multimeter, Can't remeber which lead goes to which wire though, its on here somewhere. Sounds like you have a leak in your pressure system, I would bet that its your standpipe leaking. I just had the same problem and have noticed ALOT of guys with the same issues now. if you read anything below .08v at the ICP you have a leak, I would bet standpipes! You will have the test the Volts when it is NOT wanting to fire though to really tell you. Read my thread as well, might help you out a little!

Part number thread:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/178129-p2291-help.html

My Thread:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-motor-problems/182134-strange-random-problem.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.