Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP! DEALERSHIP CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  G8orFord 
#1 ·
It's been a while since I've posted on here but I need a little help. My truck is a 2006 F250 CC/SB 4X4. 103000 on the clock. I've owned this truck since Oct. 2005. Never been in the shop for a repair until now. In early March I started noticing a delay when stepping on the throttle from a stop. I would push down the throttle an inch or two and nothing would happen for a second or two. Then it would take off like everything is fine. It would not do this every time only sporadically. Then I noticed a surge when on the freeway and the cruise set at 70. It would slow down then speed back up. It finally got to a point where, at one time, I came to a stop and when I stepped on the throttle there was no response. I could put the pedal to the floor and it would only idle. I parked it and shut it off for about ten minutes. When I started it back up it just sat there and sputtered for a few seconds then died. Had it towed to the dealer. They thought maybe the fuel filters needed to be changed so they called me and asked how long it had been. I'm kind of anal about this truck and always do the maintenance at or before the required interval. The filters still had about 2000 left before a change was needed. I told them to go ahead and change them. It started right up and ran fine. When they took it out for a test drive, it was still getting intermittent throttle delay but it wouldn't last long enough to get a reading on the testing equipment they had hooked up to it. They are now installing what they are calling a flight recorder. I am going to get the truck back with this device installed and every time the truck does what it has been doing I am supposed to hit a button and "record" the event. Fuel pumps seem to be working fine. Changed the IPR valve and no effect. ICP looks good too. FICM within parameters. Any ideas would be helpful. Sorry for the long post but I really need my truck back. I'm going through diesel withdrawl.

See less See more
#2 ·
since you changes the valves and eliminated that I bet it's a wiring harness issue

mine did the same thing had the pigtail replaced way back when under warranty

but the recorder should catch this why they didn't put it on and drive it themselves is ???

#6 ·
Since these trucks are drive by wire, have you thought about the accelerator pedal position sensor? The reason I say this is because you mentioned putting it on the floor and the truck stayed at idle, which would tell me the computer isn't receiving a signal or at least the correct signal in regards to pedal position.

Reactions: Qholic
#8 ·
Hey! How 'bout we all chip in on a monitor and then just pass it around to whoever needs it?!

...and I'm in the APP-sensor-is-bad camp. That said... Since the dealership is putting a recorder on it, I would expect that they'll narrow the issue down soon enough. It sounds like the problem is well on its way to being solved.

#9 ·
I have the truck now and it is running perfect. I thought about the throttle position sensor and talked to them about it but that's not the problem. They got on the hotline to Ford and they keep mentioning the torque converter not locking up right. The dealership doesn't think this is the problem because that wouldn't effect the hard start/no start problem. Turbo is in great shape and the EGR valve is clean and operating within parameters. Truck isn't throwing codes. I have a ScanGuage II hooked up to it also.

#10 ·
I wonder if the fuel pump could be going?

Unless the dealer tapped a sensor into the fuel pressure, the truck's PCM does not measure that at all. There's no sensor attached to the fuel pressure, low pressure oil, or EGTs on the 6.0. I did have a fuel pressure problem with my truck which I never would have known had I not had a fuel pressure sensor attached. mine was dropping to 30 PSI going up hill when I gave it half throttle. I did not notice the difference in performance at all. Turned out filters were filthy, but when I cleaned and changed, the fuel pump got ruined by the gunk entering it.

Just saying the stuff with preinstalled sensors is easy to read with a monitor but until you get other sensors, you cant read those unsensored values and those other things can still cause problems.

Also, when you say no codes, unless you use a monitor or some other device better than your standard code reader, you won't be able to tell the soft codes. Those soft codes will not trip the dash lights.

#12 ·
The IPR has zero influence on fuel pressure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.