6.0 has a cold - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 04:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 has a cold

I have an F-350 6.0 with 98,000 miles. When I first crank it, I can't hardly get it out of the yard. But once it warms up, it runs alot better although it never seems to have the right amount of power. At 96,700 mi. I had all injectors & fuel pump replaced. At 97,870 mi. I had IPR valve & IPC sensor replaced to stop motor oil leaks. I keep getting a P132B code, which is a turbo code of some sort. So I had the turbo cleaned and the machanic said that made a big difference, but was still slow about boasting to full power. He took computer off another truck, put it on mine, and said that made it run great so he advised me to have my computer reflashed by Ford dealer($100). He had that done and it had great power for about 40 mi. then slow boast again. I'm still getting the same turbo code, so he took turbo off again and said that the vanes looked like they are still sticking and recommends a remaned turbo. Could it possibly be the egr valve, and how expensive is that affair. A Ford diagnostic is $189 just to tell me what might be wrong, not any actual repairs. Should I spend that money first before I invest in a turbo?

Last edited by revcool1155; 09-14-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
well the EGR is certainly an easy and cheaper fix than a turbo. I would at least check that first. Search for EGR Cleaning and you find a ton of stuff about how to do it.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

what year is this beast?
Old 09-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseldoctor View Post
what year is this beast?
Given that it keeps flagging a P132B DTC I think it's safe to assume this is an '03 model year truck (or an early 2004 with 2003 engine).
Quote:
Originally Posted by revcool1155 View Post
I have an F-350 6.0 with 98,000 miles. When I first crank it, I can't hardly get it out of the yard. But once it warms up, it runs alot better although it never seems to have the right amount of power. At 96,700 mi. I had all injectors & fuel pump replaced. At 97,870 mi. I had IPR valve & IPC sensor replaced to stop motor oil leaks. I keep getting a P132B code, which is a turbo code of some sort. So I had the turbo cleaned and the machanic said that made a big difference, but was still slow about boasting to full power. He took computer off another truck, put it on mine, and said that made it run great so he advised me to have my computer reflashed by Ford dealer($100). He had that done and it had great power for about 40 mi. then slow boast again. I'm still getting the same turbo code, so he took turbo off again and said that the vanes looked like they are still sticking and recommends a remaned turbo. Could it possibly be the egr valve, and how expensive is that affair. A Ford diagnostic is $189 just to tell me what might be wrong, not any actual repairs. Should I spend that money first before I invest in a turbo?
Will a VGT learn count complete?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Given that it keeps flagging a P132B DTC I think it's safe to assume this is an '03 model year truck (or an early 2004 with 2003 engine).
Yeah that's right that code is only for that era.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

6.0 has a cold

It is an 03, sorry that I left that bit of information out. I didn't intend to come on as though I have an attitude. I surly didn't mean to. I'm just a broke dude with an expensive truck, humbly asking for advice so that I don't throw unnecessary money into this bottonless pit that I bought without doing my homework that I can't get out of. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:50 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If the vanes are indeed sticking you might consider pulling and cleaning the turbo. Here's a LINK to the procedure. It's essentially free (if you do it yourself) and will at least rule that out as a possible cause for your issue.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I already had the turbo cleaned and the computer reflashed and that helped but it still ran sluggish so I decided to try my programmer and to my suprise, it was like night and day, plenty of power and plenty of boast, but it blew a lot of black smoke. So I put it back in stock mode, and it ran a good bit better than it did before in stock, without any smoke. The machanic that cleaned the turbo said that the computer is bad. Does that make since? By the way, what is the difference between reflashing the computer amd reprogramming it Thanks for all your help.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
If I understand you correctly, reprogramming an ecm, completely wipes out the computers memory, and reinstalls a new operating program. this program will contain the basic instructions on the what the computer is, what it is supposed to do, and how to do it. (I'm simplifying this for easy illustration) This program will setup the enviroment in which all the functions necessary to operation the computer are carried out.

Flashing the compter is basically only changing the data in the instruction set of the existing computer environment.

Put another way, the "reprogram" builds the house, and "reflashing" simply changes things around in the house.

This is why you need the "strategy" from your computer when tuners are writing a tune for your truck. They need to know what base programming you have setup.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks very much that makes sense. I've changed all filters and oil and I have decided to put my programmer in towing mode and just drive it. I'm about to run myself crazy worrying about it. I have noticed that the P132B code seems to appear after it has idled for a while. Having said that, how long should I idle the engine after I have run it for say 30 ir 40 miles. I usually let it idle for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.