HELP!!! Head Gasket or Oil Cooler, Or Both?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP!!! Head Gasket or Oil Cooler, Or Both??

I need some feedback on this. My truck is at the dealer and I am having a problem with the coolant being pushed out of the reservoir. I know that this sounds like a head gasket but the Dealer through me a curve. They said that it could also be a oil cooler causing this problem. Next they said that this is more common then a head gasket leaking. Funny how he also said that the tech feels it is a head gasket. The truck is out of warranty.

Has anyone ever heard of this? The dealer said that this will cost $4,153.00 plus tax to replace the head gaskets and oil cooler. I am providing the head studs.

If the oil cooler is a common problem with this , I will replace it with the head gaskets. I have never heard or seen anyone post this on the forum.

Thanks in advance

PS:
The dealer said that the temps betweent he coolant and oil are fin. I have been reading that if the temps are more then 25 degrees apart, this would indicate that the oil cooler could be bad. I have the EGR cooler blocked. Turbo has been cleaned recently. Dealer did say while the truck was there that the #1 fuel injector has been failing. Anyone advise location of #1 fuel injector. I would really want to know if the oil cooler can cause the same symptoms as bad head gaskets?

Thanks again in advance

Last edited by 98NYFINESTVETTE; 09-11-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well oil coolers are common problems. They get plugged up then slow the coolant flow down so it gets too hot, then goes into the egr cooler and gets super heated and flash boils out of your reservoir. I believe it is common practice now to replace egr cooler when doing the oil cooler. But i would just install an egr delete kit. If it is head gaskets good luck to you, thats a lot of money to spend. Have you considered doing the work yourself? there are a bunch of write ups on here that involve doing headgaskets and oil coolers in the truck. Good luck
Old 09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeproc View Post
Well oil coolers are common problems. They get plugged up then slow the coolant flow down so it gets too hot, then goes into the egr cooler and gets super heated and flash boils out of your reservoir. I believe it is common practice now to replace egr cooler when doing the oil cooler. But i would just install an egr delete kit. If it is head gaskets good luck to you, thats a lot of money to spend. Have you considered doing the work yourself? there are a bunch of write ups on here that involve doing headgaskets and oil coolers in the truck. Good luck
Thanks Mike, I am sorry. I added the following info when you left this post. I do have the EGR cooler blocked. My friend said that he will do it for $1,400.00 for labor only. He will lift the body off. I only have seen the temp rise when I hit hills with the truck towning a 46 foot gooseneck with living quarters. I never heard the clutch fan kick in until I have this problem. It is just getting worse. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM

It sounds like nows the time for you to do the head gaskets, 1400 isnt bad, and for another 240 bucks you can get the oil cooler kit, through in a coolant filter and never worry about the oil cooler again!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
It sounds like nows the time for you to do the head gaskets, 1400 isnt bad, and for another 240 bucks you can get the oil cooler kit, through in a coolant filter and never worry about the oil cooler again!
Here is another curve? Coolant filter?
Where can I get the oil cooler kit for this price? The dealer said it was more then that, but they are a dealer - they will be the highest in pricing.

Anything else I should know? While I have this apart?
*Head gaskets (2 different sizes)
*oil cooler
*coolant filter
*Updated Turbo drain tube
*one injector (#1 cyl)
*Inspect injector O rings
*Coolant Filter
*HPOP
*STC

Any tips about where I can get the parts at a reasonable price?

Thanks for all the info.

Last edited by 98NYFINESTVETTE; 09-12-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:40 PM

I got my oil cooler rebuild kit from ford for 240. Coolant filter kit from thedieselsite.com for 130. head gaskets and studs i paid 650 from river city diesel. if you look around this site most of the sponsers are priced very fair and will treat you right!
Old 09-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I got my oil cooler rebuild kit from ford for 240. Coolant filter kit from thedieselsite.com for 130. head gaskets and studs i paid 650 from river city diesel. if you look around this site most of the sponsers are priced very fair and will treat you right!

I bought the ARP head studs a few weeks ago. I would have bought the head gaskets but I am told there are 2 different listings for my year. Just my luck, my year had two listings.

I will search that site and also the sponsors of this forum.

Ah, a rebuild kit. I did not know that was an option. I would have thought I would have had to buy a new one.

You are one for answers and knowledge.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM

If you are doing head gaskets, I would do the HPOP STC, the oil rail plug 0-ring and the updated turbo drain tube while it is apart. Also check the o-rings on the injectors. Might as well since you have it apart.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorx4md View Post
If you are doing head gaskets, I would do the HPOP STC, the oil rail plug 0-ring and the updated turbo drain tube while it is apart. Also check the o-rings on the injectors. Might as well since you have it apart.

More curves.
What is a HPOP STC?
I need to replace one injector I will check/replace all the O rings on the injectors. Good idea.
The updated Turbo drain tube is much better?

Thanks for the help and info.
Rob
Old 09-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the biggest problem with these things is the oil coolers-egr coolers and fan clutch if the engine starts to heat up on hills and the fan clutch does not engage the fan clutch may be a problem. the dealer should have tested it as part of the diagnosis. the fan clutch will engage at 215 degrees of oil or coolant temp. does not matter which. this can cause the same problems you are having and can cause overheating problems. i'm a ford diesel tech in southern arizona and see alot of these kinds of problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.