HELP! ~ 1 month warranty running out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! ~ 1 month warranty running out

So if any of you saw this thread I was very happy for about 18 hours...

got my man card back

I've got about 120 miles on her now and now have a surge when stopped on the road and the turbo will also spool unnecessarily on the highway when surging. It also just about conked out when stopped in between surging. Luckily I have 30 days 3,000 miles to work a lot of this out.

So to you experts of the 6.0, please help me fix my ride. I've done some searches have come back with the all too likely suspects, the EGR valve/Cooler and possibly the Injectors. I will be taking it to the dealer to exercise my warranty but would like to go in with a targeted list. The idea being that we can fix one thing and move on to the next and so on until my 30 days run out.

Also, if it is EGR Related has anyone tried the bulletproof EGR or is a bypass a better bet? I'm thinking I'd like to stay legal but want to be as reliable as possible so a delete may be in the works.

I'm assuming it will not pass emissions in MD without the EGR?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, this site rocks! I don't want to return or regret my decision.

Last edited by charkbait; 09-09-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
If you decide to keep the EGR the bulletproof piece is a great choice. If you go the delete route go with the First Coast Diesel Performance kit
Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charkbait View Post
I've got about 120 miles on her now and now have a surge when stopped on the road and the turbo will also spool unnecessarily on the highway when surging. It also just about conked out when stopped in between surging. Luckily I have 30 days 3,000 miles to work a lot of this out.
Sounds like the classic VGT seizing up inside the turbo by the way you describe the symptom. On a low mileage vehicle like this, used as such, would be the most likely vehicle to experience this.

Quote:
So to you experts of the 6.0, please help me fix my ride. I've done some searches have come back with the all too likely suspects, the EGR valve/Cooler and possibly the Injectors. I will be taking it to the dealer to exercise my warranty but would like to go in with a targeted list. The idea being that we can fix one thing and move on to the next and so on until my 30 days run out.
Although I understand your motives, you need to bear in mind that FoMoCo is being VERY tight with what they will authorize for warranty repairs, due to its relatively high cost. Remember, even if YOU aren't paying for the repair, SOMEONE is. That said, if it's a repair on the manufacturer's dime, THEY are the ones who are going to dictate the repairs to be done, NOT the dealership or the technician doing the repair. This reminds me of a customer that darkened my doorstep about a week ago, and his words were "replace as many parts as possible, whether they are good or not". In other words, asking me to commit warranty fraud on his behalf, at the risk of putting my job and the dealership's status in jeopardy with Ford warranty. In plain English, any time a warranty repair catches the attention of someone higher up at FoMoCo due to the high cost, it is put under a microscope, and if anything appears suspect, the repair is charged back to the dealership.

This is not to say that I don't want to see you get anything and everything addressed on your truck before your warranty expires, and it's a very nice looking truck by the way. I am just hoping that this post will be a very strong reminder that it's NOT up to the tech doing the repair in the end.

Quote:
Also, if it is EGR Related has anyone tried the bulletproof EGR or is a bypass a better bet? I'm thinking I'd like to stay legal but want to be as reliable as possible so a delete may be in the works.

I'm assuming it will not pass emissions in MD without the EGR?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, this site rocks! I don't want to return or regret my decision.
On a low mileage truck like this, I would rather see a beefier EGR cooler installed as opposed to NO EGR cooler, just by virtue of the fact that it is an emission control device that affects driveability directly. The best course of action really is, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This way, there is no risk of causing further issues by "getting into it". Like you say, if you remove or delete your EGR system, your NOx readings will go through the roof and likely fail your local emissions tests. Just my
Old 09-09-2009, 05:25 PM

appreciate the feedback!

To be clear the dealer (Honda) I bought from would cover the work at the Ford dealer, I just want anything that could potentially go bad to do so in the next month while I'm covered.

What are your thoughts on the ICP being an issue?

Am I better off dropping it off or taking a list like this for them to run through (feedback appreciated on this as well)

ICP
EGR valve
VGT or other turbo
IRP
Injectors

Or just show up with a detailed description of what is happening?

Thoughts from a guy who deals with internet no nothings like me all day?

It will only do it when pretty warm, just want them to be able to recreate it and get after it.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:30 PM

I also want to add some symptoms from the way home this evening which may lead us away from the turbo.

The truck had a very hard time settling back into idle if that makes sense to the point of almost turning off in my driveway when I got home. It would also have a hard time while underway but off the gas and would eventually settle back into that wonderful diesel cadence.

I did some searching and similar symptoms have been solved with an ICP and harness but want to hear everyone's thoughts.

So I have surging and what I would define as a pretty rough idle.

Should I push to get re-flashed as well?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
I did some searching and similar symptoms have been solved with an ICP and harness but want to hear everyone's thoughts.

So I have surging and what I would define as a pretty rough idle.

Should I push to get re-flashed as well?
Is this an early-build or late-build 2004 model year? If your truck were to darken my doorstep, I would be running an Air Managment test as well, to determine EGR flow and operation. If this truck has idled extensively, or been subjected to very short distance drives, I wouldn't be surprised if the intake manifold EGR passages as well as the EGR valve itself, would be plugged solid with carbon.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

Here You Go!!! All the answers for the 6.0l diagnostics.

Power Stroke Diagnostic 8 Ball
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
Is this an early-build or late-build 2004 model year? If your truck were to darken my doorstep, I would be running an Air Managment test as well, to determine EGR flow and operation. If this truck has idled extensively, or been subjected to very short distance drives, I wouldn't be surprised if the intake manifold EGR passages as well as the EGR valve itself, would be plugged solid with carbon.
I have to tell you....

I almost died after reading your signature... I know someplace I'm never moving
Old 09-10-2009, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would think, the surging is egr valve, try unplugging it with the key in the off position.
see if the surging stops. maybe tap on it a bit to make sure its not stuck. The put the key on and off a couple times. When you unplug have it in the off position or key out.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:17 AM

appreciate all the response and will get to some amature diagnosis soon, no issues on the 30 mile ride to work today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.