Missing and sometimes won't start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Missing and sometimes won't start

I have an early 2006 F250 6.0 Fx4 that had 82,000 miles on it when I bought it. It's got 124,000 on it now. For quite some time it's been missing alot, usually when you're at or above 1500 RPM. Going down the highway it sputters and misses pretty bad. Sometimes it runs like a champ, but 90 percent of the time it misses. I've had people tell me it's an injector issue. Here lately it's started a new issue. When I start it after it's been sitting for a long time it starts. Then, once you drive it for a little while and shut it off, it won't start back up unless you let it sit for 45 minutes or so. It'll just turn over until the batteries are drained. I had a few people tell me it's the fuel pump under the frame getting weak and failing to operate when it gets hot. Any ideas? Thanks. Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

the no start hot sounds like a high pressure oil leak. you need to get a scanner that you can monitor icp while cranking. if it's low than you need to air test the system and see where the leak is. stc fitting is very common. if that is the problem there's a very good chance that eventually it will leave you stranded and won't start at all.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 PM

Thanks. Where would the stc be located?
Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Powerstroke Techie

It's the connector from the high pressure oil pump to the branch tube. It's located under the turbo under the aluminum cover. need to pull turbo to access. can remove cover without removing egr cooler. to air test you need to remove the allen head plug on top of the oil pump and put shop air in there. you also need to apply battery voltage to your ipr valve which is located on the hpop also. you should only hear minimal air leakage back there due to the oil drain hole in the back of the hpop. i usually try to plug it off with my finger to see if i hear any other hissing.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Will plugging my truck in during the colder months keep my truck from starting?
Old 09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I don't think so, the block heater is into the coolant in the side of the block. there will be some heat transfer to the oil but i don't think that it should heat up the oil enough that it won't start.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:50 PM

Thanks alot for the replies.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:13 PM

Do you have any idea what that would cost or how many shop hours the book says that job would be?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Diagnosing and replacing the stc fitting will probobly be around 10 or 11 hours. It should be properly diagnosed first.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM

Tear down pictures

I decided to tear down the passenger side this weekend.

1. Disconnected the batteries, removed the passenger one to make more room.
2. Unplugged the glow plug module and tied the wires back toward the center of the engine to get them out of the way.
3. Removed the glow plug module bracket hold down nuts and got that out of the way, along with the oil fill tube.
4. Removed the inner fender apron.
5. Removed the valve cover bolts, accessing the back ones on the bottom by reaching up under the passenger front tire with a 12 mm end wrench.
6. Removed the valve cover and the T30 bolts that hold down the high pressure oil rail. There's about 1" of room between the top of bolt head and the evaporator box on the back 2 bottom bolts. For these I used a T30 screwdriver bit. I placed it in the head of the bolt, then put the closed end of a 1/4" end wrench over the bit to turn it. Once they busted loose I was able to use my fingers to remove them the rest of the way.
7. Removed the back plug on the rail that holds the stand pipe in place. It tried to pull the stand pipe out too and was kind of a tight fit. I ended up CAREFULLY slipping a small flathead screwdriver in the gap and turned it sideways in order to get the plug to come loose from the stand pipe.
8. Removed the high pressure oil rail and stand pipe.

Once I had everything neatly placed on a towel on my tailgate, I took the dummy plug out of the front end of the rail, as well as the other plugs to inspect all of the O rings. Sure enough, the bottom O ring on the dummy plug had a big marred spot on it. I am hoping this was my no-start hot problem. Monday when I get off work I'm going to Ford to order the O rings that go on both plugs and the stand pipe. I figure i'll replace them all while it's tore down. I wish I had the money to buy 4 new injectors at this time too, but that will have to wait. As for the injectors that are in it now, I don't guess pulling them out would do any good. Would it be smart to replace the O rings on them too? Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.