uhhh.... turbo woeeesss.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
uhhh.... turbo woeeesss..

"04 6.0 PSD" Left norfolk last night headed back to ohio for my grand dads funeral and had nothing but trouble with the old truck the whole way. When i was leavin town and about to go through the tunnel i heard a noise that sound like a shotgun go off under my truck somewhere, truck started to shake and then lost power. Pulled over and poped the hood and too my surprise the intercooler tube coming off of the turbo blew clean off.... Got it back together and went down the road 40 or 50 miles and noticed a lack in power and my turbo was surging quite a bit goin through the mountains. Pulled over to check the pipe again and it was almost all the way out again. i made sure the grove on the boot was in the grove on the intercooler tube, and tightend it down reall good.... well long story short this happend from norfolk to West VA about 5 times. The last time i got a closer look at the inside of the boot and it was saturated in oil. upon further inspection i looked down in the turbo and seen that there had been a fine mist of oil coming from behind the impeller. First thoughts shaft seals are bad. Im not really familiar with this turbo but when i got to ohio today i stoped by the ford dealer and seen if the sell a rebuild kit for this turbo and they dont... gona look around to see what i can find but ive been having nothing but trouble with the turbo from day one, vanes sticking, when it gets hot it blows boost as soon as you get on the skinny peadal and now it wants to blow the intercooler piping off....??? im going to presure test the intercooler and see if its plugged up also. Any one have some advice for a route i should try? I have 16 days till i have to be back from leave so im tryin to figure out somthing prety fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 01:01 PM

You sir need a turbo. That seal went bad. You can get a rebuild kit on ebay. There is one guy on there that sells them, it comes with bearings and seals. If that seal went bad the oil is not bathing the bearings and just blowing into your intake and intercooler. It's surging possibly because the bearings are worn out because the shaft is moving because the thrust washer is shot. And it's getting hot because all this is causing a lack of boost. You need to rebuild or (recommended) get a new turbo.

I rebuilt mine, and it cost 250 and I found a used housing. If you get an ATS housing, wicked wheel, rebuild kit and do it yourself it's gonna be a real pretty penny!

You COULD drive it back, just REALLY REALLY baby it, I mean boostless accelleration, and expect terrible mileage. Like single digits. Your best bet to make the boots stay is clean 'em all as best as possible and spray the pipes and inner boot with hair spray and crank 'em down tight enough to hold but not strip them.

That's my diagnosis. (COULD BE OFF this is all what would work for a 7.3's turbo.)

Last edited by TurboSevenThree; 09-05-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 01:18 PM

You can get a rebuild kit thru Ford. I found this out last week. The kicker is, that list price is around 900.00 from what the parts guy told me. List on 6.0 turbo is around 1050.00

The kit Ford sells includes new exhaust housing, the middle section where the VGT solenoid goes, impellers, shaft.
I was told you keep the compressor housing side.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
so basically you stick a new turbo into your old compressor housing?? For that much, you might as well spend the extra hundred bucks and save headache of messing with the turbo, and just swap it out. Now if the rebuild kit was 400 bucks, that would be worth the 2 or 3 hours to rebuild it.
Old 09-05-2009, 07:58 PM

You can get a rebuild kit from Gpop shop.com for about $125.00
Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 AM

lookin like im gona rebuild it... have to see if the funds will alow but thanx for the help guys.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:49 AM

I'd suggest to leave the turbo right where it is!! The pcv system on your truck may
be allowing oil to enter the intake before the turbo, and show as a fine mist on the hot side of your innercooler. Remove the air duct hoses and clean them well. Then apply some rtv sealant (a thin layer) to the metal piping, that way no large pieces of sealant will be built up on the inside of the air duct. Get new clamps and you should not have to worry about the pipe blowing off anymore.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulliewog View Post
I'd suggest to leave the turbo right where it is!! The pcv system on your truck may
be allowing oil to enter the intake before the turbo, and show as a fine mist on the hot side of your innercooler. Remove the air duct hoses and clean them well. Then apply some rtv sealant (a thin layer) to the metal piping, that way no large pieces of sealant will be built up on the inside of the air duct. Get new clamps and you should not have to worry about the pipe blowing off anymore.
It's not just the oil though, he said it was surging, causing excessively high egt's, low power, etc.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Once those hoses blow off we always replace them at our dealer. New hoses and clamps! there is usually a little oil in there anyway. I would go with option #2 as well before throwing to much money at it.

I had a tea kettle noise on decel and was told head gaskets. We replaced the degass bottle cap and the truck went another 5k miles before it puked. Now studded and gaskets and perfect but it was worth the cheap try to figure it out!
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 AM

yea im kinda at a loss these days with this truck... i love it to death and wouldnt want to own anything else but im just getting kinda dissapointed with it at the moment. Ive got a 18ft stratos bass boat i tow behind it and it man handles my truck....???? I used to tow a 20ft enclosed box trailer with race quads to the track every weekend with a half ton chevy and it didnt do as bad as my truck now... just hoping i can get the problem eliviated because ive been wanting this truck ever since they came out in 99. im geting discharged from the navy here in a few months and ill be back home where ill hopefully be abble to give my truck a little more attn. I know this truck is much more capable than what it is rite now.... well see im gona work on it some this week and see if i cant find anything out. Whats that test called that the ford guys can run on my truck with there diagnostic tool..? cost..? Oasis report, where can i get one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.