can hear turbo spool, but no boost... code p2262 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
can hear turbo spool, but no boost... code p2262

just bought a 05 f250 6.0L diesel with around 300k miles that was sitting for over a year. i can hear the turbo spooling, but the boost gauge shows no boost. it's slow as hell and takes too long to shift. it's throwing code p2262 (no boost). my first thought was the wastegate arm is frozen from sitting but i read that this turbo has no wastegate.

what are some possible culprits/solutions here? i know absolutely nothing about these trucks/motors so you might have to talk to me like i'm an idiot, lol.

BTW, the truck doesn't smoke at all when you floor it.

Last edited by MetalMan390; 09-05-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2009, 09:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The VGT solenoid could be bad, or the vanes could be stuck.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

where is the VGT selenoid and how do i check if it's bad or not? if the vanes are stuck is there a way to free them up?
Old 09-05-2009, 12:57 PM

The VGT is on the side of the turbo,Its controls the linear actuator position of a closed loop hydraulic servo,by charging and venting the flow on both sides of a piston!As fare as the vains sticking there is a TSB on that code you said you had , the number is TSB 08-16-13! Goggle that TSB and read it will tell you!!!!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I would first check all your intercooler hoses and clamps to make sure there isn't a leak. I would start with the 45 degree elbow that comes out of the turbo. Ford used a silicon tube that is not rated to handle the oil that they engineered to be in the intercooler tubing from a breather. Consequentally these hoses leak...fail..or blow off all together!
Old 09-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If its showing no boost and acting gutless then I am betting it has a majer leak somewhere. Check IC boots and pipes.
Old 09-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaSixGun View Post
The VGT solenoid could be bad, or the vanes could be stuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsharb View Post
I would first check all your intercooler hoses and clamps to make sure there isn't a leak. I would start with the 45 degree elbow that comes out of the turbo. Ford used a silicon tube that is not rated to handle the oil that they engineered to be in the intercooler tubing from a breather. Consequentally these hoses leak...fail..or blow off all together!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRonning1984 View Post
If its showing no boost and acting gutless then I am betting it has a majer leak somewhere. Check IC boots and pipes.
I would start where these guys pointed you

Welcome to the Org!
Old 09-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The easiest way I can think of to direct you to fixing this issue is to give you my own personal experience with the fixes when P2262 has set for me.

First step is to check the MAP sensor hose for air leaks or cracks. Second step is to ensure your MAP, BARO and EBP readings are all within 0.3 psi of each other (around 14.3) at key-on/engine-off. This will require use of a scan tool that can read live data.

If your MAP or EBP readings are way out, the first step is to repair as necessary, whether it's the sensor itself, or the circuit.

What happens when you rev the engine with the accelerator pedal to the floor in PARK or NEUTRAL? Will it rev to 3800 to 4200 RPM, and maintain that engine speed? If not, disconnect the downpipe from the CAT (two 15mm nuts), and run the engine or drive it. Do you now have boost when you drive it, or run it with the downpipe disconnected from the CAT?

What I'm driving at here, is to start with some simple tests, before you jump the gun to the turbo like I've seen too many guys doing.

I had one truck, an E-350 van that showed up on my doorstep that had absolutely NO BOOST. This truck had just had a new turbo and VGT replaced (RETAIL) at another dealer two weeks prior to landing in my hands, that took me all of ten minutes to determine the CAT was plugged. The question that lingered in my mind was how the dealer was able to explain the misdiagnosis, let alone releasing the vehicle in that condition UNREPAIRED.

Another E-Series that ended up in my hands from an independent "garage" the guy dropped off with the expectation that I was going to replace the turbo under warranty, took me all of five minutes to figure out the air filter was restricted. The restrictor gauge was bottomed out. Removing the air filter (an aftermarket cheapie that was "Made In China") was all it took to fix the proeblem!!!

The moral of the story is, CHECK THE BASICS, CHECK THE BASICS, CHECK THE BASICS. Just like the "KISS" rule. I'm sure most of you fine gentlemen know that one. I pass this on to you for what it's worth.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:48 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
vgt solenoid could be bad, vanes could be stuck, ur intercooler hoses could be leaking, bearings in ur turbo could be bad, and just to check, check the connector on ur turbo to make sure its plugged up.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the replies everyone. i took the turbo out and cleaned everything, it was pretty dirty. i put everything back together and now have a boost leak. apparently i didn't seal the 2 halves of the turbo good enough, it's leaking through one of the pinholes on the clamp that holds it together. unfortunately, when i clamped it back together i didn't pay any attention to the position of the bolt on the clamp... it's on the very bottom of the turbo, so it looks like i will have to pull it again just to get to that one bolt.

i just have to say what a horrible, awful pain in the *** this job was. aligning the turbo and getting those damn clamps on was a real *****. i am not looking forward to doing it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.