Slow Start sometimes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slow Start sometimes?

2004 6.0 with about 80k...I commute about 70 miles a day and have noticed poor gas mileage, or atleast worse then it usually is. I used to get about 130 miles with seven or eight gallons but now it seems more like 100 miles at best. Another thing I noticed...when i get gas i usually only fill it to about a quarter tank and every time I shut the vehicle off and twenty minutes later I turn it on the gas guage goes down. Its not just settling either...it drops everytime the truck gets turned on. Ive also notice the truck on occasion cranks over really long and slow. Im afraid of the worse...maybe injectors but who knows, maybe im just paranoid. Any comments are welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you noticed if the truck has been missing any? Or it could be as simple as need Ford re flash your truck. Need to get codes pulled as well.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Premium Member

Lately I've been hearing a lot of diesel owners complaining about low MPG. I was also seeing a drop in my MPG this summer. The cetane in diesel keeps getting worse in Diesel and I heard it was just reduced. People should expect lower MPG as older engines are not meant for low cetane. I recommend a cetane boost additive or or some of a fuel additive to help with your MPG. As for slow start ups, when was your last oil change? What oil are you running? And oil and fuel filters replaced?
My truck used to run regular non-synthetic oils like rotella 15W40 and my startups would always be slow. When I switched to synthetic and my start ups are quick and smooth. I replace filters almost every time I go in as well. Just from my experience.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metstroke06 View Post
Lately I've been hearing a lot of diesel owners complaining about low MPG. I was also seeing a drop in my MPG this summer. The cetane in diesel keeps getting worse in Diesel and I heard it was just reduced. People should expect lower MPG as older engines are not meant for low cetane. I recommend a cetane boost additive or or some of a fuel additive to help with your MPG. As for slow start ups, when was your last oil change? What oil are you running? And oil and fuel filters replaced?
My truck used to run regular non-synthetic oils like rotella 15W40 and my startups would always be slow. When I switched to synthetic and my start ups are quick and smooth. I replace filters almost every time I go in as well. Just from my experience.
Well on the weekends I work at an oil change shop so changing the oil is never forgotten...our shop uses Chevron Delo 400 15w40 for the diesels so thats what I use. I changed my fuel filters about four thousand miles ago. I just cleaned my afe intake and pulled the egr valve and cleaned that as well...I did this thinking I would see improvements but nothing so far.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:23 AM

just throwing ideas out here but on my 04 I started having slow start issues I had one bad battery so the other battery taking all the load. I bought 2 new batteries and my slow start issues went away
Old 09-04-2009, 09:28 AM

[QUOTE=jeppers;1390357]just throwing ideas out here but on my 04 I started having slow start issues I had one bad battery so the other battery taking all the load. I bought 2 new batteries and my slow start issues went away[/QUOT

Batteries came to mind but I figured it wouldn't be so unpredictable if it was the batteries. I guess it wouldn't hurt to test them. Ive just been reading up and it seems like people who are getting poor gas mileage and hard starts seemed to end up having injector problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.