Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 powerstroke coolant leak, fumes issue.

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  midnite rider 
#1 ·
2006 6.0. I have purchased the truck maybe 3 weeks ago. I noticed when I first got it it had a high pitch whistle. Was worried it was the degas cap. The y pipe is mis aligned so I get fumes in the cab, the downpipe was off too. Got the down pipe fixed and the y pipe is still leaking a bit (can't get it). Installed the updates cap. The whistle went away. I only got it from 1500-1800rpm. Anything more or less it went away. It has never puked no matter how much I attempt to make it. I have an intermittent coolant leak. I noticed one day after a few hours of it sittin a decent puddle. Filled her back up and drove it and it stopped leaking for 2 weeks. Today it has another puddle! The first time it was off the passenger side this time off the drivers. Can't figure out what it is! I can see a little greenish stuff mixed with my cac boot oil in the valley. (Awaiting parts). Any ideas?

#2 ·
If your coolant is green, you've likely got bigger problems than just a leak. Most, if not all, green coolants are not diesel rated and can cause cavitation which will wreak havoc on the internals of the cooling system. You need to flush that stuff out and get a CAT EC-1 rated coolant in it ASAP. You can probably fix your leaks at the same time. Your passenger side leak is likely the little hose from the oil cooler to the EGR cooler down in the valley. If it leaks there it will run out the back of the valley and usually to the passenger side. It could also be the heater control valve on the heater lines hanging beside the turbo or any of those connections. Your drivers side leak could be the same leak, depending on how it was parked or it could be a cracked degas bottle or cracked "Y" hose below the degas.

I'd also take another run at the y-pipe. If it's leaking you are not getting optimal performance out of your turbo and it will likely get worse. You may need to loosen the connection at the manifolds. Most folks end up just breaking those bolts and replacing them with new ones.

Reactions: midnite rider
#3 ·
Mine did that and it was my intake at the egr delete, but if you don't have an egr delete might be what Dexter said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.