Intermittent P2285 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to kimber_da
Intermittent P2285

I've been looking around for someone who might have had this problem in the past to no avail. As the title says, I have thrown this code. I threw it first about 8 months ago, about a month after I got my truck (and flipped out). The first thing I did was take it to Advanced auto Parts and had them reset it. I always do this once, just to see if it's a fluke. The light went away, and didn't come back for a couple of days. When it did. I knew I had a problem. Seeing as how I do hazardous materials cleanup for a living, I had to use the truck the next morning to drive about 950 miles to a job. As I suspected, when I fired the truck up, the light was on and I left town. I got about 450 Miles down the road and stopped for fuel. When I fired the truck back up, the light was off. I was a little dumbfounded. I went to the jobsite, Worked for about 48 straight hours (starting and killing the truck, as I was using it) and the light never came back on. I went to the hotel. Caught up on some sleep, came out the next morning started the truck and the CEL greeted me once again. I've been going through this for about the past 8 months now. On, off, on, off......

SO.... riddle me this batman...

1. I assume this is a problem when the truck is cold, due to the fact that everytime I drive it for a while it goes away, does anyone concur?

2. What risks am i taking by continuing to drive this truck in its current state?

3. How hard is it to fix and can it be done from under the truck? (it's behind the turbo).

4. Is there anyone who has any ideas as to what else could be causing this? I'm not 100% convinced it's the sensor, seeing as how the light isn't always on.

5. Ford doesn't sell that sensor with vasoline, so does anyone know where I can get one cheaper? And the Pigtail?

6. Does anything have anything else to add?

Thanks in advance, You guys have been a hell of alot of help since I joined this forum.

Last edited by kimber_da; 08-25-2009 at 11:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Emergency Services

Bumpity Bump Bump....
Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Emergency Services

Old 08-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Emergency Services

(poke poke poke) is this thing on?
Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

In answer to your question, NO and NO. The permanent fix for this IS to replace the ICP sensor and pigtail connector. Yes, I realize it's not a pretty job, but it is the ONLY fix for this issue, before you start getting all kinds of funky driveability symptoms, evevntually leading to your truck leaving you stranded.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to chuckles
If its the ICP sensor, an you have an 03, it was a very common problem from what I know. From Ford:

ICP/EBP Sensor Repair Kit:
Both PowerStroke engines may exhibit codes related to the ICP(7.3: P1280; 6.0: P2285) and/or EBP sensors (P0472). If these codes are present, clear them. Start the engine and wiggle the sensor connector that matches the stored code. If the code returns, replace the sensr connector--P/N 3C3Z-12224-BA for 94-96; 3C3Z-12224-AA for 97-2004. Broadcast Message 1078/SSM #17573.

Is the sensor leaking oil?? Easy way to tell is remove the connector and see if oil is in the connector, if so, then sensor is toast. It's a real PITA to replace, but not impossible. Some come from up top by pulling FICM, and air intake tubing, some come from underneath if they have a lift.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles View Post
If its the ICP sensor, an you have an 03, it was a very common problem from what I know. From Ford:

ICP/EBP Sensor Repair Kit:
Both PowerStroke engines may exhibit codes related to the ICP(7.3: P1280; 6.0: P2285) and/or EBP sensors (P0472). If these codes are present, clear them. Start the engine and wiggle the sensor connector that matches the stored code. If the code returns, replace the sensr connector--P/N 3C3Z-12224-BA for 94-96; 3C3Z-12224-AA for 97-2004. Broadcast Message 1078/SSM #17573.

Is the sensor leaking oil?? Easy way to tell is remove the connector and see if oil is in the connector, if so, then sensor is toast. It's a real PITA to replace, but not impossible. Some come from up top by pulling FICM, and air intake tubing, some come from underneath if they have a lift.
Do you have to have a lift in order to do it from underneath? Can you do it from the top w/o pulling the turbo?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM

Yes most come from the top, but you gotta be a monkey.... I don't you could do it from underneath without a lift. Maybe, but you would need some long arms. You may be able to remove the driver side inner fender and get access that way, but there is a lot of wiring attached to that inner fender.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles View Post
Yes most come from the top, but you gotta be a monkey.... I don't you could do it from underneath without a lift. Maybe, but you would need some long arms. You may be able to remove the driver side inner fender and get access that way, but there is a lot of wiring attached to that inner fender.
TKS. I'm buying one tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it fixed this weeked. Should I replace the wiring harness with it as well?
Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber_da View Post
TKS. I'm buying one tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get it fixed this weeked. Should I replace the wiring harness with it as well?
I've seen where the original connector can be cleaned with brake cleaner, then blown out with compressed air (be carful not to loose the rubber gasket). Usually this works fine, but if you still have problems, then the connector should be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.