Turbo Replacement - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lufkin, Texas
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to TheNimitz
Smile Turbo Replacement

Hello Fellas:

Just wanted to let you know that since last October, I've been having intermittent issues of my 2004 F250 6.0L Powerstroke sputtering, spitting and jerking when pulling heavy loads (such as a car and trailer).
I thought it might be isolated but it continued.

This past weekend I had a car show to go to and I didn't think I was going to make it to and from the show 2 hours from home.

I called my favorite Ford service department.
I took it in on Monday and they analized it on their computer. Sure enough, the turbo system was about gone. The EGR valve was about shot as well.

They fixed it under warranty ($100 deductible/40K miles).
I can't tell it's better yet but I am sure it will be fine.

I was tracking a post on this site before Christmas where some others here were having some of the same problems.
Just thought I'd share the news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Texas
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I was having the same problem. It took about 5 tries to eventually get to replacing the turbo - about a month ago - now it's running better than ever and getting better mileage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 04-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Washinton State
Posts: 72
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the same problem in my 04 Super duty burbing and missing up hill under mod to hvy throttle. After 3 visits to the shop turbo was replaced and all is good once again. My only question is, are these bad turbo's being replaced with a better one? or will this one also go bad in 40k miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silver Lake Or.
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine did the same thing but at 9k they replace it.As far as i know they replace it with the same turbo.If your going to haul with them let them cool down before shut down.When i haul with mine i allways let it cool down i dont even shut it down when refueling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Cj Ford Send a message via Yahoo to Cj Ford
our 2003 F550 has gone through 2 turbos and 3 egrs and 2 injectors.. thank god it was under warranty ... Nice truck just gave me a sour taste for the 6.0L



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: West Texas
Posts: 47
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
Mine did the same thing but at 9k they replace it.As far as i know they replace it with the same turbo.If your going to haul with them let them cool down before shut down.When i haul with mine i allways let it cool down i dont even shut it down when refueling.
Do you let it cool down when not hauling, like when you make a run to the store or something like that?

Thanks
Doug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silver Lake Or.
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTexasRN View Post
Do you let it cool down when not hauling, like when you make a run to the store or something like that?

Thanks
Doug
I do for a few min better safe than sorry a lot of people dont there is a lot of times i keep the extra set of keys with me and let it run, if i am only going to be their for a min or too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 11-25-2009, 05:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I had the same problem with my turbo. I bought the truck used with 11k on it. at 45k I started to use my truck for towing. almost immediatly I started having issues with burping and gasping of the engine. Throttle would miss. I cleaned the back pressure sensor and that helped for about 2000 miles the first time. The second time it only worked until I towed again. I replaced the sensor. The problem began again at 49K. I was on the road 1500+ miles from home in our first week of a four week RV tour. I took the truck to the dealer and found out that, of course, the warranty had expired two months prior. He told me the turbo needed to be replaced at a cost of $3,000, for a stock replacement. I asked what would happen if I was to continue driving. He said probably nothing more than poor MPG's, and then went on to tell me how te stock turbos are garbage and Ford initially replaced them, but as more problems arose they were instructed to clean the turbo vanes. So the next day at a campgroungd I pulled the turbo and cleaned the vanes, and compared to pictures I've seen they weren't too bad. I have put another 8K on the truck since w/o problems. The thing that pissed me off was the "Remanufactured" sticker that I found on the Turbo. WTF, when I bought the truck there was only 11k on it and they replaced the turbo with a used one under warranty. Apparently if you stay with the stock turbo and do a lot of towing the vanes should be claened about as often as the oil is changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 11-26-2009, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Silver Lake Or.
Posts: 786
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecrag View Post
I had the same problem with my turbo. I bought the truck used with 11k on it. at 45k I started to use my truck for towing. almost immediatly I started having issues with burping and gasping of the engine. Throttle would miss. I cleaned the back pressure sensor and that helped for about 2000 miles the first time. The second time it only worked until I towed again. I replaced the sensor. The problem began again at 49K. I was on the road 1500+ miles from home in our first week of a four week RV tour. I took the truck to the dealer and found out that, of course, the warranty had expired two months prior. He told me the turbo needed to be replaced at a cost of $3,000, for a stock replacement. I asked what would happen if I was to continue driving. He said probably nothing more than poor MPG's, and then went on to tell me how te stock turbos are garbage and Ford initially replaced them, but as more problems arose they were instructed to clean the turbo vanes. So the next day at a campgroungd I pulled the turbo and cleaned the vanes, and compared to pictures I've seen they weren't too bad. I have put another 8K on the truck since w/o problems. The thing that pissed me off was the "Remanufactured" sticker that I found on the Turbo. WTF, when I bought the truck there was only 11k on it and they replaced the turbo with a used one under warranty. Apparently if you stay with the stock turbo and do a lot of towing the vanes should be claened about as often as the oil is changed.
I would check the egr and clean it or replace it the dealer clean my turbo the first time it only lasted 250 miles that's when i took it back to them & told them that they are going to replace the turbo they did and it has run like a striped *** ape i have 39k on it know & it still is running fine.I have learned to not baby it, i put my foot in it quite often don't let the carbon build up in it. Drive it like you stole it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors