Thought I had a bad EGR Cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thought I had a bad EGR Cooler?

About 6 months ago I replaced the EGR cooler and oil cooler with new ones because I was blowing some smoke out the exhaust and losing coolant.

The problem seemed to reappear, however, this time there was much more smoke and it would blow out the exhaust all the time, even after the truck was fully warmed up.

I took the EGR cooler back out to install a bypass kit but didn't notice any signs of coolant in the exhaust part of the cooler. Is there a way to test the EGR cooler for leaks while I have it out of the truck?

I'm afraid if this part is not defective then I have a head gasket issue.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by paintballrefjosh; 08-22-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 AM

i am having the same trouble.. i got a 03 6.0 with 44s and it kept stalling at 2200 rpms on the highway. and along with loosing 4 gallons of coolant in less than 2 months i was told its prob my egr valve or cooler... either way it sounds expensive... well tonight i was hauling sum stuf and got to my destination and the entire undercarriage of my drivers side was covered in coolant.. no clue where its comin from or anything... i will see if its my egr valve and let you know what i found out if you do the same.. let me know what ya find out
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Dealerships have a pressure test kit that plugs the ends of the cooler. Air is applied(5 psi i think) and cooler is submurged in water looking for bubbles. Have had some that will not leak cold only hot.

Have only seen coolers go bad this fast in standard trans equiped truck that lug the hell out of the engine(get egt's hot)
Old 08-26-2009, 06:23 PM

Mine did the same, i noticed it leaking coolant and kept putting coolant in and finally got a block off and installed it and it was over after that, goodluck and keep us posted
Old 08-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I installed the EGR block off kit this weekend but I'm still getting some white-gray smoke out the exhaust. I'm assuming the only other thing this could be is head gaskets, does that sound right?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM

Head gaskets tend to blow coolant out the degas bottle. Does the exhaust smell like coolant or oil burning? I'm wondering if you are burning oil instead of anti-freeze. Soands like you could have a turbo heading south.;
Old 08-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah that's what I was wondering too before I installed the EGR block off kit, if it could be the turbo.

I ran the truck with the pipe from the turbo to the innercooler off, to test if the front half of the turbo was leaking, and it still smoked.

I also tried running with the turbo completely off but the oil line is pressurized and I couldn't funnel it back into the drain tube without it spilling all over the place.

A question I have is: how much play should be in the shaft of the turbo, I can move mine a good 1/4 inch from say "top to bottom" if that makes sense.

Is there another way to test the turbo? or is there a decent priced rebuild kit for them?
Old 08-31-2009, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
depending on how bad the EGR cooler was dumping coolant into the motor, it could take up to 500 miles to burn off all of the coolant in there, and if you have a stock exhaust system, the cat will catch coolant too...
Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I was wondering that, but it's a full MBRP with cat delete pipe exhaust
Old 08-31-2009, 05:47 PM

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Abrannan19
there is still a possibility of coolant just burning off, it really does a job of filling the cylinders with coolant..give it some time and miles and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.