Air Cleaner Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2007, 05:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air Cleaner Problem

I have a 03' F250 SD Crew Cab with 6.0 lt and 6spd manual. I have never tried to take the air cleaner out to clean or replace - left it up to the dealer ship. I'm now experiencing low fuel mileage and can barely here the turbo. I tried removing the 2 clips on the front and rear of the canister but can't seem to get the !XXX!?? thing out of there. Does any body know how to remove it with busting every thing around it. Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 PM
im fat and ugly

just a side note, have you had the fuel filter replaced lately?

and
Old 02-20-2007, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

on the back piece (closest to the fire wall): Undo the clips and pull the hose (not the filter piece) up slightly and then push it back (towards the fire wall).
It should move away far enough to let you start to work the filter housing out.

Last edited by RET; 02-20-2007 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed fuel filters at 30000, and just cleard 40000.
air cleaner rear housing will not disconnect at the bottom. Cant figure it out.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is disconnect the entire thing from the turbo inlet. You will have to disconnect the filter minder and the air meter wiring, but it gives you more room to wiggle.

This method makes it come out easy but going back in sure isn't any more fun!

With the design of these filters, I would doubt that you find that to be the cure. At 10,000 miles since last change the fuel filters could be suspect. I just changed mine at 10 and some change and the water seperator had some crud stuck to it. Not enough to cause a problem, but much more than I thought possible since I'm a clean fuel freak. Also if your water seperator filter has seen any H2O, it may be swelling up and cutting off the fuel flow.

Last edited by 720Deere; 02-20-2007 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 PM

napa makes a kit that replaces the ford stock one i think it is very similar but supposidley makes a 2 hour job into a 10 minute job not sure of the price but might be worth checking out. i know the napa here offers it they wanted to sell me one for our work trucks
Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check into replacing the stock unit with the Wix 24490. Saw it priced for 82.97 at Filter1 Wix heavy duty engine, oil, automotive, truck, and tractor filers.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will the wix unit void the warranty?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:01 AM

Ahhh the joys of the 6.0 air filter

The main body of the filter on the botton has 2 slots on each end, the end caps have 2 tabs that fit in these slots. On the bottom of the main body there are 2 posts that fit into 2 rubber grommets. All of which are very tight fits.

I like to start with the front end cap after unclipping the clips which I then remove from the houseing and set aside so they do not fall into the fender well and be lost forever. With a rocking /pulling/lifting swearing motion you unseat the front cap, while holding down on the main body with your third hand. Once unseated you then shove it as far forward as you can, as it will tend to quite easily slip back into place and reseat itself and you get to start all over again.

AS you are doing this you will notice the main body will keep trying to unseat and come up with the end cap, which there is no room for it to do. So hold down firmly with that third hand.

The rear cap is basicaly the same procedure only you disconnect it from the turbo in-pipe and remove the tattletail and electrical connections. Once unseated I remove it from the vechicle, this procedure can sometimes be as complex as the other and will be discussed in my next book.

Now that everything is unseated and shoved out of the way you will notice that the main body which so easily tried to unseat while removeing the end caps is now stuck quite fast and will require more rocking/pulling/swearing motion to remove.

I wish you luck and a little antiseptic will help on all those lttle cuts and scrapes you are going to get. I am sorry I don't have time to exsplain the joys of trying to get those end caps back on and seated properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.