06' turbo rebuild by dealer...VGT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06' turbo rebuild by dealer...VGT?

My 2006 F350 automatic just turned 30,125 miles and threw a P0299 code...took it to the dealer and they had to rebuild the turbo and stated the it was the VGT. I did some research in this forum and the internet and found that this seems to be a common problem. My question is...is this problem mostly due to driving style or just the ford turbo issues? I don't drive my truck daily, I do use it for towing my camp trailer, and when I am driving it I don't have my foot in the throttle much, I drive it "nice". There are no mods on the truck and this is the only problem it has ever had. Is there anything that I should be doing differently? Should I be using additives? Any advice would really be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Round Rock, Tx
Posts: 2,800
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsnort View Post
My 2006 F350 automatic just turned 30,125 miles and threw a P0299 code...took it to the dealer and they had to rebuild the turbo and stated the it was the VGT. I did some research in this forum and the internet and found that this seems to be a common problem. My question is...is this problem mostly due to driving style or just the ford turbo issues? I don't drive my truck daily, I do use it for towing my camp trailer, and when I am driving it I don't have my foot in the throttle much, I drive it "nice". There are no mods on the truck and this is the only problem it has ever had. Is there anything that I should be doing differently? Should I be using additives? Any advice would really be great!
actually, quit being 'nice' it needs a good WOT every now and then
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:12 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shawnee, OK
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think most of the problem comes moisture condensation in the turbo.
That creates rust, Which causes the Turbo veins to stick.

I agree with Eric, It needs a WOT every now and again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well that is an easy and fun fix! How do you avoid the condensation in the turbo housing? Does this have to do with the cool down and not shutting the engine off right away? Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Shawnee, OK
Posts: 4,938
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsnort View Post
Well that is an easy and fun fix! How do you avoid the condensation in the turbo housing? Does this have to do with the cool down and not shutting the engine off right away? Thanks for the help!
Letting it set for long periods of time is what I believe cause's the most problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 13,277
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You got to get on that thing! Stop babying it. I run my truck through the gears everyday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well it looks like I need to drive it as a daily driver. Here I was thinking that I was saving myself heartache by babying it and not putting a ton of "useless" miles on it. Thanks again for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
You got to get on that thing! Stop babying it. I run my truck through the gears everyday
Easily done!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors