Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

6.0 died, now won't start

4K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  STORMTROOPIN 
#1 ·
My cousin has an 05 F350. It has about 130,000 on the clock. Last week he installed an EGR delete as well as a new fuel filter.

Truck has driven fine for about a week and then yesterday, as he exited the highway, he romped on it, and the truck just died, as if someone turned the key off. It now swings over strong, but won't start.

He THOUGHT it could possibly be that he ran out of fuel (because his fuel gauge has been acting up), but we put about 6 gallons in the tank, bled the line, and it still wouldn't start.

What could it be?

Based on some of the reading I have done, it seems that a likely culprit could be the FICM, but I was curious to know if you fellers think it could be something else. I am going to try and get a buddy to hook his scan tool up to it later today, but I still need suggestions for now.

Based on what you guys come up with will determine whether my cousin tows it to his house or to the shop.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
!

First thing we need to do is get it scanned. Judging from the fact it just shut off like a light switch and that its an '05 it could very possibly be the fitting on the back of the hpop. We are also starting to see an increasing amount of the orings on the dummy plugs in the oil rail fail.

#4 ·
!

First thing you want to do is scan it for codes, mainly icp codes. That will give us a direction to go in. After you get them, if there are icp codes you will want to monitor the icp and see what it is at while cranking. Also monitor the ficm pids and make sure you have ficm sync.

#7 ·
Got some EGR codes, some low voltage codes, and a glow plug code for each cylinder...decided it wasn;t going to be something that could be fixed in a parking lot, so we stopped scanning and are having the truck towed to my cousin's house where we will resume scanning/investigations.

#8 ·
you can also buy a reconditioned FICM, and sometimes have your original one reprogrammed to work. What that many codes, it almost sounds like a ground issue.

#9 ·
Tested it again, and this time around the only codes it was throwing were the EGR codes, which is to be expected, since there is no EGR anymore.

Tested the resistance in the pins we were supposed to and it was good, (assuming 3.0 Mohms is less than 5 ohms) and the voltage with KOEO was 47.

I'm at a loss now...I believe we need Ford's IDS system to PROPERLY test/calibrate the FICM, but based on the symptoms I have seen in reading, that module should be the problem.

Anyone a Ford tech in Atlanta that wants to come by and fix this thing? :)

#13 ·
i was actually readin through the july issue of diesel power and i found an article that has all the 6.0 problems/fixes and i found this about the FICM... "The '03 model years seemed to have had the worst fuel injection control module issues. Apparently a lot of '03 model trucks came back to the dealer for Ficm reflashing when a pilot injection feature, which was intended to reduce engine noise and improve emission, would create timing problems on hot start-ups. the result of this was a rough-running, loping idle. Later-model 6.0L ficm calibrations didnt have this pilot injection feature. another issue, which can happen to any model year 6.0L, is that the internal circuit boards in the FICM burn up-and FICM's arent cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.