HOLY TURBO!!!! need some advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HOLY TURBO!!!! need some advice

well i got lucky enough this spring to actually afford my first diesel truck and i bought an 04' F350 PSD. I absoloutly love the truck and have had great luck with it so far but every once in a while the turbo starts acting up. I had an issue pulling my boat back to VA from ohio. My boat isnt all that heavy its just an 18ft bass boat so its not like im towing 20000lbs. The issue was when i was pulling up some of the long grades in West VA and i was in the skinny pedall the turbo would start to surge enough to jerk the truck around a bit. During the same trip on two diffrent ocassions, when i would be geting on the freeway and get on it a bit as soon as i started to build boost it wanted to blow off and you would hear that turbo chop almost like when you come off the throtle real fast. that was the only time i had that specific problem. Now fast forward a few months and im having a new problem. Its intermitten and doesnt do it on a regular bassis but every so often when im geting on it prety hard, merging on the freeway or tryin to give a guy in a cummins a hard time ..... when i come out of the throtle and get back on it the truck doesnt want to build any boost. It lags really really bad and doesnt start to build boost till the truck gets up to about 3500 rpm or so and it "breaks loose". Then after a few times of tryin to get it to build boost everything goes back to normal and everything works fine..... Its not enough to discorage me but it is geting on my nerves a bit. Ive searched quite a bit on this and im personaly leaning torwards a vgt solenoid possibly but im not totaly sure. I was just wanting your guys imput on this and see if you had any ideas. O and i have removed the EGR and cleaned it and put new seals on it after this first started happening, thinkin maybe my EGR might have been sticking... who knows. Anyways any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM

I would clean the turbo since it's probably overdue. The vanes could be rusted or coked up and sticking. It's pretty simple to split the exhaust housing and get to the vanes. Then use some Roloc pads and clean the vanes, unison ring, and housings and try that. IDS can run a VGT turbo test but mostly only dealer techs have the IDS.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:20 PM

What he said ^^
Old 08-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

my truck did something similar to that and it turned out to be a wire grounding out
Old 08-18-2009, 06:38 PM

yea thats what i figured, wasnt sure but i wont know till i get it tore apart. Gona be a while till i get a chance to do that though, im navy and i live in the barracks. Might be goin home for a few weeks in the spring and pullin the motor and goin through the top end and slushbox. bought it as a used truck with 82000 miles dont know how hard it has been road, or how its been maintained so im gona do a bit of preventative maintenance. Lookin to do studs, EGR delete and a few other things while im in there. knock it all out in one shot. Well see..
Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpu1983 View Post
I would clean the turbo since it's probably overdue. The vanes could be rusted or coked up and sticking. It's pretty simple to split the exhaust housing and get to the vanes. Then use some Roloc pads and clean the vanes, unison ring, and housings and try that. IDS can run a VGT turbo test but mostly only dealer techs have the IDS.
real quick what is IDS...
Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 PM

Sounds to me like the vanes in the turbo are getting stuck
Old 08-19-2009, 06:03 AM

after you clean turbo run stanadyne in every tank, will help with soot issue in turbo. i live in ohio cleveland area never had a problem with my 6.0 in 83000, it has never seen the shop.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Subscribed
Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
IDS is fords scan tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.