Cold performance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold performance

2003, F250, 2WD, XLT. When engine (Trans Temp) is below about 50 deg. F on initial start the engine ramps to RPM slowly. ie. Start up and back out of drive, drop in Drive and you can lay your foot on the floor, truck will slowly ramp up in speed, 5 seconds to 30mph, and then co like hell. Seems to be RPM related with the temp. Once the tach breaks 3000 RPM it's like nothing ever happened. Any Clues???????????? ALK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Military Member

Send a message via ICQ to jwiger Send a message via AIM to jwiger Send a message via MSN to jwiger Send a message via Yahoo to jwiger
did this just start? the 6.0 has a warmup valve that tends to make it a little sluggish untill the engine warms up
Old 04-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also have a 03 6.0L and it has no power until the motor temps get near 120. I just took it to the dealer and they have had it for a week now. So far they have reprogramed the PCM, changed injector software, now they are waiting on injectors to come in on Monday. They said one was bad at first, then two. So far all covered under warranty. I say you might try taken yours in, you might need same as mine.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:00 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Sounds like you MIGHT be low on trans fluid. This might not be relevant, but in my Dad's '78 F250 gasser (460cid) he has to let it idle a little until the tranny will even shift into reverse. After about 5-10 mins everything is AOK. We know the tranny is going out and Pops just doesn't have the $$$ to get a new one/rebuild it. (We are trying to get him on OVERHAULIN'.)
Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I had all sorts of people tell me that this(6.0L) just had cold start issues. It was loud, rattled, and had low power until warmup. I recently had 7K worth of work done on mine, including new heads and software reflashes. Guess what mine is now much quieter, and runs better when cold. So mabey there is a fix for that loud knocking noise and low power at startup. If your not getting results at your FMC dealer find another. Poor starup performance was not designed into this engine and is NOT normal..

Stressed11
Old 04-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The dealer updated the software on my truck and replaced two injectors. It runs great now. Thanks for all feedback.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:52 PM

need better cold performance? it is as simple as a oil/coolant change
use oil with -60 degree pour points, and drain out that revolving door, coolant ford puts in there and buy some EVANS COOLANT.
lower pour point non petroleum oil will be easier to pump when cold and EVANS COOLANT will let the engine get to temperature 20 minutes sooner than conventional coolant, not to mention save your head gaskets and your wallet from ever having to add a drop of coolant again to your truck...AKA LIFETIME FILL
Old 04-23-2007, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm running 15W-40 Rotella-T synthetic. Is this good oil?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1njazx7 View Post
I'm running 15W-40 Rotella-T synthetic. Is this good oil?
use it with your favorite filter and sample the oil at 5000 miles then at 10000 miles and if it is good it will make it to 15000 miles and beyond, if not then maybe it ain't so good for the price.
but to use for only 5000 miles it ain't no good
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, you lost. What oil would you use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.