help- truck runs but wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help- truck runs but wont start

yesterday i was heping my brother move and we parked the truck and turned it off. went to turn it back on and it would crank but wouldnt start at all. it ran perfectly fine fine before that. BUT he sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it started right up??? once its started it runs perfectly fine 100%, it just wont start. we also found out that if you let the truck sit for atleast an hour after its cooled down a bit, it will start on its own with outstarter fluid. i have the sct on it so i put it back to stock to see if that was the issue and it didnt change anything. looked at the codes and the only one i have other then the software incompatibility code for the tuner is a P0611- ficm failure. please tell me i dont have to replace my ficm........i dont have the money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned

!

What year is it? Sounds like you have the start of a hpop oil leak. If its an '04.5 and up its probably the quick connect on the hpop.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Don't think its that, I had the hpop replaced shortly after I bought the truck.the quick disconnect thing shot off the pump and cracked the plate that's on the back of the motor. So they replaced the hpop and all. I guess the newer ones have threads instead of a quick connect
Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The hpop was replaced a while after I bought the truck. The quick connect thing shot off and cracked the plate on the back of the motor so it was replaced with a newer one that is threaded in instead on the q connect.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't really have any tech help to lend to your situation but, I'm sure you may know this, be VERY careful using Starting fluid on these trucks due to the glow plug systems potentially pre-igniting the ether and damaging glow plugs or engine!

Hope you get her fixed man! Good Luck
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 PM

Take the valve covers off and change the oil rail block off plugs, part # w302195
Old 08-14-2009, 12:19 PM

They always blow out.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I will chime in to say NEVER EVER use starting fluid on a Powerstroke. If you must use a "temporary alternative fuel source" to fire up the engine, use Brake Parts Cleaner, it is far less volatile than starting fluid. Use in moderation of course, so that the engine doesn't run away on you.
Old 08-15-2009, 12:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow I didn't know starter fluid was bad for it. What I did is take the air filter sensor thing and spray it in there about a half second spray. So the Oil block off plugs may be the prob? Just curious as to why you'd say this and why do you think that would be the prob? The p0611 code is the only code I have other then the p1000 code cuz I disconnected the batteries. Doesn't that mean I just need to replace the ficm or can it be something else?
Old 08-15-2009, 04:02 AM

The p0611 is a ficm code, replace the ficm asap. Remember, if you put brake clean or ether in the air filter it still has to go through the intercooler, before it gets into the engine. And having glow plugs at 1000 degrees when the ether gets there causes detonation. But i would address the ficm code before anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.