Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Turbo Impact Damage?

618 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  savage027 
#1 ·
New here to the forums. I've been having some low power issues with my 2003 6.0 and after a bit of troubleshooting decided it was time to take a closer look at the turbo. When I pulled it today I found an alarming amount of damage to the impeller and vanes. There are gouges, bent portions, broken and missing pieces from both vanes and blades; clear signs of impact damage. I know that the tremendous RPM the turbo is under can lead to significant damage even from the smallest thing(s) but I'm quite baffled by what can hit THIS side of the turbo.
Unless I am missing something, doesn't this mean something either made it all the way through the engine or it came from the engine?? Has anyone seen anything like this before? This is my first turbo job and I am at a total loss and concerned.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Post it to Photobucket and paste the link.

#6 ·
I've seen worse pictures, but it does appear that something went through the turbine.

#7 ·
I'm very new to turbo diesel work. Best guess, WTH could've gone through it? Wouldn't it either have had to come from the engine (or through it entirely)?
I was running at about 80 on the interstate with around 12k behind me when the engine just fell on it's face. No boost or fuel press gauge in the truck (that will soon change lol) so it took a bit of old fashioned elimination to find.

#8 ·
Yes, it would have had to come through the engine, unless it was casting flash or something from an exhaust manifold or up pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.