Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

very weird problem with power range.

865 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  friggin6.0 
#1 ·
OK. So as they all say, I searched the site and couldn't find the answer i was looking for. Here is the deal. I started noticing the issue while pulling my lawn care equipment trailer the other day. I run my edge chip on level 2 all of the time and never change it. The truck got to where when i start off normal it just has no power. Whenever the thing gets up to about 2000 rpms it just kind of doesn't want to do anymore, it's like it gets suck there for awhile, especially going up a hill. I can press the pedal the rest of the way to the floor, and after approximately 15 to 20 seconds it will finally come back to life and take off as normal. I also noticed that if i take off WOT from the get go it will accelerate as normal. This continued to happen without the trailer behind the truck. I did an oil and filter change including fuel filters, cleaned the air filter and cleaned the turbo. The turbo wasn't really that dirty. Put it all back together and its doing the same thing still. The FICM voltage is fine, and the truck has thrown zero codes. I started playing with the chip, and it does this on level 0-3 where it'll barely get out of its own way, and levels 4 and 5 it'll run like a scalded dog. Truck doesn't smoke at all when its doing this thing where its acting weird. I have a 2003 250 psd cc sb 4x4. I'm still running the same edge juice w/ attitude that was put on it in 2004. The truck has an egr blocker plate, mbrp 4" exhaust with no cat, k&n intake, and head studs.

#2 ·
Hard to help without knowing what your ficm v icp v and ipr is doing while this lag is taking place. Try unplugging your icp sensor and take it for a drive and see if it still had the lag on stage 2. I have a 03 as well and mine had the original ipr valve up till 2 weeks ago and it was doing same thing on sct street tune but ran like a scalded dog on performance tune. Pulled ipr valve disassembled it entirely. Careful of the bearings and push rod as you pull apart' and cleaned it and cured the problem for a week. Then my HPOP failed on me haha so back apart she is for now.

#3 ·
I understand, I just replaced my IPR last february when i had a crank no start issue.

#5 ·
Y'all don't think it could be caused by the chip?

#7 ·
it does the same thing most of the time. It's just really strange, i took it for a drive really paying attention, and it felt pretty strong through first and second each time. However, once it shifts to third gear and gets to about 3,000 rpms it's like it just gets hung up right there for about 10 seconds or so. Matter of fact i noticed that the rpms would drop slightly during this with the pedal pressed to the floor.

#9 ·
Really hard to say without monitoring your icp v ipr % ficm v and fuel pressure. Did you try unplugging your icp and testing it? How many miles on your turbo and turbo actuator? I had a similar situation much less of a lag but it still lagged. I had much better throttle response after cleaning my actuator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.