04 6.0 engine surge - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 engine surge

I've got a bone stock '04 6.0 F350 with 38,000 miles. The thing surges through light acceleration, to heavy accelleration. The dealer tells me there are no code issues and doesn't know what to do next. The surging is cyclic, almost like it were timed. Any guesses.....anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool42 View Post
I've got a bone stock '04 6.0 F350 with 38,000 miles. The thing surges through light acceleration, to heavy accelleration. The dealer tells me there are no code issues and doesn't know what to do next. The surging is cyclic, almost like it were timed. Any guesses.....anyone?
try unplugging your ERG and see if this helps. alot of these trucks have problems with it sticking. i just unplugged mine and it cured the problem. plans are to keep it unplugged until i get a special tune from innovative diesel to take the circuit out of the controls. also, it would be a good idea to clean your IAT2 sensor as they soot up. the IAT1 sensor along with the readings from your IAT2 sensor serve a critical part on fueling, boost, & ect...good luck with the truck. oh yeah, how about your fuel filters?
Old 02-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Jon

If your

dealer says " I dont know what to do next " Drive away very very fast. I would bet the turbo is coked up, vgt sticking, or the egr is messed up. There that wasnt so bad. We deal with that everyday.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrball View Post
try unplugging your ERG and see if this helps. alot of these trucks have problems with it sticking. i just unplugged mine and it cured the problem. plans are to keep it unplugged until i get a special tune from innovative diesel to take the circuit out of the controls. also, it would be a good idea to clean your IAT2 sensor as they soot up. the IAT1 sensor along with the readings from your IAT2 sensor serve a critical part on fueling, boost, & ect...good luck with the truck. oh yeah, how about your fuel filters?
First thanks for responding.
By ERG do you mean EGR? Where is the location of the IAT2 sensor? Fuel filters are clean.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

our truck did the same thing it felt like it would hold back and the turbo would pulsate during exceleration. took it in once they said egr valve replaceed it still the same. took it to anothr dealer they put a new turbo on it could be the turbo they have had problems with these and mine was the tird around here that i know of thats had it replaced
Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroketechintraining View Post
dealer says " I dont know what to do next " Drive away very very fast. I would bet the turbo is coked up, vgt sticking, or the egr is messed up. There that wasnt so bad. We deal with that everyday.
Thanks for responding. I've decided that I'm going to have to troubleshoot this myself so any help is very much apprieciated.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractor nut View Post
our truck did the same thing it felt like it would hold back and the turbo would pulsate during exceleration. took it in once they said egr valve replaceed it still the same. took it to anothr dealer they put a new turbo on it could be the turbo they have had problems with these and mine was the tird around here that i know of thats had it replaced
Thanks for responding. Have heard a lot about the EGR. I Carfaxed this thing and found it had been to the dealer several times prior to my owning it. I've heard of one other owner locally who had to have the turbo replaced.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

unplug your egr valve and tell us what happens; engine light may come on so ignore it. we can further diagnosis this problem further after you post the results. thanks! however, your vanes could be sticking but lets follow a process of elimination. marc posted photos on here where all the senors are so go take a look at it. the IAT2 sensor is located by the engine mounted fuel filter with a gray snap in plug. i think a 13/16" socket fits it.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

04 6.0 engine surge

I had the same kind of problem for over three months. Amount of surging and severity varied for no appearent reason from hardly noticible to so strong I felt like a dashboard bobble head doll. It even surged very slighty at highway speeds. Took it to dealer in Nov. No trouble codes and ran all the (I assume standard) tests with negative results. Took it in in Feb. Same drill. Took it in yesterday. Figured I'd give this dealer a one last "three-strikes-you're-out" chance. This time an older (read more experenced) tech was assigned. After a short ride he told me he knew what the problem was. Later showed me the EGR sensor. Was so gunked up looked like a greasy lump of coal. Replaced it and cleaned the turbo blades too. PROBLEM SOLVED. Said if the 6.0 turbo isn't worked had enough the carbon will build up. The incorrect data the EGR was sending resulted in the turbo trying to compensate, hense the surging. But the control program(s) didn't sense that the problem was severe enough to generate trouble codes or failed test results. He also told me that Washington appeares to have terrible quality diesel state wide, but doesn't know why. Recommended using a fuel additive. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

04 6.0 engine surge

I had the same kind of problem for over three months. Amount of surging and severity varied for no appearent reason from hardly noticible to so strong I felt like a dashboard bobble head doll. It even surged very slighty at highway speeds. Took it to dealer in Nov. No trouble codes and ran all the (I assume standard) tests with negative results. Took it in in Feb. Same drill. Took it in yesterday. Figured I'd give this dealer a one last "three-strikes-you're-out" chance. This time an older (read more experenced) tech was assigned. After a short ride he told me he knew what the problem was. Later showed me the EGR sensor. Was so gunked up looked like a greasy lump of coal. Replaced it and cleaned the turbo blades too. PROBLEM SOLVED. Said if the 6.0 turbo isn't worked hard enough the carbon will build up. The incorrect data the EGR was sending resulted in the turbo trying to compensate, hense the surging. But the control program(s) didn't sense that the problem was severe enough to generate trouble codes or failed test results. He also told me that Washington appeares to have terrible quality diesel state wide, but doesn't know why. Recommended using a fuel additive. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.