Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

04 wont start no codes all start parameters met

4K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  dorsey12588 
#1 ·
I am stumped. My son bought a non running , late 04 (ICP on valve cover) with 130k miles. He wants to get it running then transplant it into a 96 F350 4dr. Here is what we have and have done to this thing.

First thing we did was hook it up to AE. Had 135psi ICP while cranking. HPOP bad. Replaced the HPOP.

Current situation:
RPM 135-160
900+psi ICP with IPR around 40% while cranking.
FICM 48v and steady.
FICM syncs.
CMP/CKP syncs (takes a bit of cranking then alternates between 1 and 0).
Can hear the injectors firing, small puffs of white smoke and a catch like it is trying to start..

Batteries are new and hooked to a charger. Oil level is good, fuel pressure reads 50psi through test port (didn't test while cranking). There are no codes present other than a brake pedal and transfer case code. Injector buzz test is good, KOEO test is P1000. Motorcraft filters and caps. Oil pressure registers on the dash. Replaced the Cam Sensor just because we are running out of ideas. Tomorrow we are going to replace the Crank Sensor on a hunch. I hate throwing parts at it, but all the readings are there for it to be running, but it just won't start.

Is there anything else I should check with AE????

See less See more
#2 ·
Going to borrow a compression tester today and see what readings I get.

Also, I removed the belt to eliminate the ac drag causing a no start. Tried unplugging ICP. Still need to try starting with fan and ebp unplugged. going to do the compression test first. I just don't get it. all the start parameters are there and unless it is something mechanical that failed, I am lost.

#4 ·
Do the crank sensor also as your thinking. Once sync is achieved you should not loose it.
Heavy GD is right that looks off. If that does not start check the wireing between the PCM and FICM. May be loss of sync there as well.

#5 ·
Picked up a compression tester. Going to check that today.
FICM stays synced the whole time while cranking.

#7 ·
From your first post it seems your looseing sync but it will sync at inital start? Is that correct. As in the FTE post it is important to repair the shielding as close as possible to the plug. You can pick up a lot of background electrical noise that can affect the signal.
Randomly loose sync.

#8 ·
FICM is synced the whole time. The ckp/cmp sync alternates between 0 and 1 but takes a bit of cranking before i get the first 1. I will have to datalog it and post the results.

#10 ·
I understand that the ficm is another part of the truck. I was just clarifying the 2 systems that should sync. The cam and crank sync flip flops from 1 to 0. Some have said that is normal.
To me, it is acting like it isnt getting fuel. But i can hear the injectors firing off. Little bit of white smoke out the tail pipe.

#11 ·
gotcha... well I am only going off what you have shared and I see low cranking RPM (unless you left off a 0) and a CMP/CKP sync issue.

So either the harness is bad, which is common for your year, or the sensor is out... or you have a loose ECM connection.

#12 ·
My son and I didn't have much time to mess with it this afternoon. But we did replace the fuel pump. Fuel is almost 60psi and comes up rather quick compared to the other pump. Keep in mind that I have lots of parts here readily available so don't think I am buying and throwing new parts at it. Who can afford to do that?
Upon cranking, it still turns over strong, fuel pressure remains at 60psi, can hear the injectors firing, ICP at 950ish, IPR 40ish%, FICM sync, CMP/CKP alternating sync (0,1,0,1,0,1), FICM 47.5-48v while cranking.
Tried unplugging the fan, the belt is still off. Still just get little bits of white smoke.
Tomorrow we are going to try and get some compression testing done.

Can anybody think of anything that might be missed? All my mechanic (6.0l proficient) friends are stumped. Maybe the exhaust is plugged up. Going to try a crank sensor tomorrow as well. A friend said he had 2 in his shop the same day (last week) with crank/no start. No codes. Both of them needed a crank sensor.

Anything, no matter how trivial. post it up.

#13 ·
Did you ever fix your problem? Mine is doing the same thing! Ficm 48v , synced, icp was at 50 psi and ipr at 84.5%. I changed both ipr and icp. Still showing the same until i unplug the icp then icp is at 1150 psi and ipr at 45%.....but stillno start.
Oe oil filter and cap. New fuel filters. New batteries. New icp and ipr. New injectors #1,2 . No codes

#14 ·
Still not fixed. Replaced the cam and crank sensors. Still have to do the compression test. It just seems like it isn't getting any fuel. Little bits of white smoke when cranking.

Dorsey, yours sounds like a high pressure oil leak or bad HPOP. ICP at 50psi is a leak. If you unplug the ICP it will read the same as ICP desired and not actual. So if your hpo system is intact and leak free, and your ICP is bad, unplugging the ICP will allow our truck to run and confirm a bad ICP sensor.

#15 ·
I've spent over 2k in the last week and a half chasing this issue. I'm not sure how to check the hpop or test for a high oil pressure leak. Would that throw both ipr icp off if it's a leak or hpop? It used to be intermittent hard start/no start until a week ago I just stopped starting for me. Runs perfect before then, when I could get it started. I appreciate the info

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.