4WD Vacuum Solenoid Test - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 4WD Vacuum Solenoid Test

Hey Guys, have a 2005 6.0 F350 4WD, I Have 15" vacuum at solenoid, red tube coming from vacuum canister, but nothing leaving solenoid (blk tube) no matter what position switch on dash is in. Hubs vacuum test ok, I back probed harness going to solenoid and get the following, 0 volts on left or rear(red wire), Bat + on middle ( Lt Blu/pnk stripe) & also bat+ on front wire (gry/blk stripe)This was checked with a DVOM neg probe on neg bat cable. This reading didn't change with dash switch on 2WD or 4WD. 4WD does work in manual hub position. Ethos scanner reads 2WD & 4WD solenoids enabled respectively, also 4x4 lamp is on. No change when HVAC line is plugged, pump shuts off at 15". Is there a way to bench test solenoid? Or is solenoid not getting votage/grd signals at correct terminals? Any help would be cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 06:25 PM
Powerstroke Diesel Enthusiast

Ok, im going to try to help you again. Im not sure if you did the tests I guided out for you properly.

First, find the electrical connector going into your pvh solenoid (leave it plugged in).
Turn your key on but leave your engine off.
Backprobe the far left wire on the connector (should be red, could also be gy/bk), touch it to ground.
Does it click?
Now backprobe the far right wire of the pvh solenoid connector (should be gy/bk but could be red) and touch it to ground.
Does it click?
No....thats good.
Grab your dvom and put it in the 20VDC scale.
Turn your key off, disconnect connector from PVH solenoid, turn your key on.
Measure your voltage on the harness side of the connector (centre pin lb/pk). Measure it from that pin to ground.
Is the voltage greater than 9 volts???

Old 12-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

sorry on response times

sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, heres the scoop." Tech help" post was posted on thanksgiving day nite, "4wd vac solenoid test" post was posted before that one, thanksgiving day early morning, sorry for confusion.
The test you gave me was correct as was the results I come up with. After my last reply, the vacuum to hvac controls held for a day or more so thats good. I found a spec in that old manual for the solenoid itself, 45 to 55 ohms i believe it was between terminals 1 & 3, and ter. 1 &2. Turns out 1 of those was out of whack, like over a hundred or something, so I ordered solenoid and also found left hub not releasing, ordered one of those also. Thanks again for your help.
On a different note, I was looking for your address to link back, ( I'm kinda new to getting around in this forum ) and found you are a Heavy Truck Technician? Curious if you have done any diagnostics on the side and if so what you are using to read engines, ex. Cat E.T or Cummins Insight, Detriot 3Dlll. I work on the side and find it difficult sometimes to trouble shoot with newer engines. Talk to you later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.