loud rumble/grind turns on like flipped switch @ 10-20 mph on up... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
loud rumble/grind turns on like flipped switch @ 10-20 mph on up...

3rd week now trying to track this mysterious bird down. It's definitely coming from the front. Sounds like Right under my feet and the vibration feels like it to.Today I disconnected the front driveshaft and drove the truck. Sound and vib still here the same though. The sound is loudly audible when the accelerator is applied. But barely audible when not applied and coasting (more feel then hear it). Does not matter if in 2wd or 4wd all the same. Rear shaft is solid no play at all...carrier in great shape. All fluids in truck including the diff's have been changed... No avail. No vacuum leaks.. IWE solenoid and actuator are fine. No play in wheels when grabbed, pulled, lifted. Local shop in town gave me a free hour of their time today... They are not even sure and was left head scratching... However one of the guys said it felt like the passenger side hub was locked in. But when I got home it was free turning and seen no evidence of what he suggested.. Any help here much appreciated. My name is Jason. I am new and a new Power stroke owner. My truck is a 04 f350 fx4. Thanks in advance!! Btw.. The truck runs/shifts and goes into 4x4 mode just as it should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

tough community :-(
Old 01-27-2014, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

could be hub bearing going bad. is it louder when in a turn with more vibration. with driveshaft out and hubs unlocked makes me think hub.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

jack the front end up and spin the tires see if you haer anything out of the wheel bearing may not be the wheel bearing itself .. but the lil bearing that rides on the axle shaft .. , pinon bearing , just some ideas let me know im sure i can think of other things .. is it loud enough that someone could video it for you
Old 01-29-2014, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck2080 View Post
jack the front end up and spin the tires see if you haer anything out of the wheel bearing may not be the wheel bearing itself .. but the lil bearing that rides on the axle shaft .. , pinon bearing , just some ideas let me know im sure i can think of other things .. is it loud enough that someone could video it for you
Your Right!!
driver side Axel bearings are toast. I removed the whole hub assembly and couldn't believe how much play and resistance when turned by hand inside and outside shaft.. It strongly seems to me that i have a few bearing issues. the bearing that set right behind the hub assembly was full of sand and dirt and the seal on front and back was no good. also.... the other Axel shaft and bearings was shot on other side. might have to unhook everything, remove diff cover pull out Axel and find a bearing in there somewhere that is obviously toast as well. Wow... my question is this. when i walk into the auto parts store what the heck am I asking for/need buy? ty so much
Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

let me see if i can find an exploded view of the front axle .. are you talking about the whole unit bearing or just the smaller one that looks like it could fit on an input shift for a manual trans ?
Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it a automatic trans... I have not exposed any bearings yet. this is all foreign to me including terminology. but there is a bearing and seals right behind the hub inside the metal casting and what seemed to be a black or rubber seal/racer along with caps or seals for dust the conceals them on front and back. this is all before you get to the big ujoint. then... onward.... inside the casting of the Axel there is roughly a 2 foot run before it meets the differential. somewhere within that short run there must b another bearing and seals that bad. I really do apologize for my lack of knowledge and possible incorrect terminology please forgive me and thank you so much for your patience.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i tried to attach a couple pics finger pointing lol
Attached Thumbnails
loud rumble/grind turns on like flipped switch @ 10-20 mph on up...-tmp_20140129_125816880664584.jpg   loud rumble/grind turns on like flipped switch @ 10-20 mph on up...-tmp_20140129_125834-2025681724.jpg  
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

no problen the lilttle bearing i am talking about would be behind what you are point at in the first pic ,, these trucks arent like the older trucks we have a unitzed bearing were as older truck had an inner and outer that you could just change one at a time or take apart and repack on a regular basis , behind that metal shield the bearing is there to support the short side axle stub shaft .. the other is kinda of weird looking as most of the dust seals are just a rubber ring , that gets thrown away when people do ball joints .. dont know if that make sense or not if you grab that u joint and try to move it up and down and side to side what hapens, sounds like your locking hub is bad not sure about the wheel bearing itself looking at that pic again it looks like rtv or jb weld ... can you turn it by hand
Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

it moves up, down, left and right I'd say full 1/4 inck play all the way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.