PLEASE HELP! No power steering, poor brakes only when warm. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2013, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
PLEASE HELP! No power steering, poor brakes only when warm.

Start at the beginning. Customer brought me there 2006 F250 with the 6.0 diesel. It has a 6 inch lift and is sitting on 37's. Said they backed into a ditch in driveway and was spinning so they used there tractor to pull it out. When they drove it down the road they noticed the brakes were not working good and the power steering was gone. I drove the truck and they were right. There was NO power steering and the brake pedal was very firm and did not stop the truck very well. When you revved the engine up you got a little bit of steering and brakes back. I put a Cardone reman power steering pump on it and flushed the system at the hydroboost with Mercon V full synthetic atf. Started the truck up and turned the wheel in gravel. You could steer it with 1 finger on the wheel. Took it for a test drive and within 1 mile the brake pedal became hard again and the power steering went out. Checked all lines for leaks and checked for air in the system, none found. I then ordered and installed a Cardone hydroboost unit. Installed it, bled system and again the steering wheel turned with one finger and the brakes were great. Went for another test drive. 1 mile down the road all the original symptoms came right back. When the truck is running and stopped you CANNOT turn the steering wheel more than a 1/8 of a turn. The truck has to be moving. Brought it back and popped the power steering cap. No fluid was circulating in the bottle. Figured I must have gotten a bad power steering pump. Put another pump on truck. Still the same symptoms. Works great when cold but as soon as you drive it there is nothing. I jacked the front end up and turned the wheel when hot and running. The steering effort is very high with no load on the tires. U joints and ball joints have been checked, there fine. This truck only has 51,000 miles on it. The pump is not whining or making any noise at any times. At this point I am stumped, all signs still point to a bad power steering pump but the odds of have 3 bad ones are not very probable. Is there any way the steering gearbox could be faulty? When its cold and working properly there is no binding or noises felt in the gearbox. When the truck is cold you would never no there is a problem. I am also not exaggerating when warm this truck is not safe to drive. When stopped you cannot turn the wheel. Even when moving it takes two hands and lots of effort to even make a 90 degree turn. You would not be able to park in a parking lot. When stopping you can put both feet and stomp on the brake pedal and it will slowly stop. It will not even lock up the brakes on a muddy and icy gravel road. I am out of ideas and cannot continue to throw parts on this. Any help would be GREATLY APPRICIATED! Thanks and Happy New Year. Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Since no one else has responded ill shoot you one. I to have had the same issue and put in three pumps. the reman pumps from anywhere are junk. i finally said screw it and deal with it and the problem went away after a few weeks and stayed away for 6 mo or so. just came back a couple weeks ago and im furious!!!!! Oreilly prob thinks im some dumb kid that cant install parts but the parts are just junk. mine are still under warranty but it still takes time and money to flush the system. also check the hubs on the truck if you still have it i had two bad at once and it made steering much more difficult. i havent checked this time around but that might be my issue again. az backroads are tough on non oem parts. hope this helps goodluck.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:54 AM
Texas Proud

In my opinion and from experience, if the hubs were bad you would get sloppy steering wether the steering was tough or not. Bad hubs you will feel even driving straight since they will catch grooves and such. From the way it sounds, it seems like pressure is dead heading as it warms up, in my opinion I would check out the steering gear box to make sure you are flowing through it. My gearbox started going out and it would get really tough to steer after about a half turn of the steering wheel and the brakes were tighter than they should be. Like I said this is just my opinion. But good luck on it and keep us posted, I'm curious about what the problem ends up being.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Subscribed!!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

check your heater switch on floor vent and defrost if stays on defrost thru the cycle u could have a bad vaccum pump also. causing dual problems
Old 01-20-2014, 09:18 AM
Texas Proud

Any updates??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.