No 4x4; this is a hard one... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy No 4x4; this is a hard one...

2007 6.0. 4x4 lights on cluster light up during start then go out as normal. Move the dash switch, nothing. No clunk from transfer case, lights, hub lock, nothing. This is all in 4x4 high and low. And yes, 4x4low needs to be at a dead stop and in neutral. Still nothing. So here's a list of everything I have done/checked:

Pulled codes on my Snap On scanner; P1820, P1828, P1865
P1820 and P1828 are both relay circuit failure codes; lets start here...

Removed relays off of truck, both Ohm'ed out correctly across the coil (76 Ohms), and also switched the contacts when energized. But I still went and got brand new relays from Ford, no luck

I checked for constant power at the coil and battery input pins on both relay connections on the harness near the driver's battery - check. Full battery voltage at those 4 pins. So this tells me whatever switches the grounds on the relay coils is not doing its job.

So then I decide to swap out the 4x4 module behind the glove box. There was $170.00 well wasted. Same results...

Now, as for code P1865 from earlier, that is defined as "Transfer case motor encoder plate short to ground". In addition, the scanner picked up the encoder plate contacts... A, B, C, and D were all CLOSED even though the switch on the dash was set for 2wd (All should be 'open' except for 'C'). So with this information I thought for sure all these problems were being caused by a shorted out transfer case motor. I change it out - $130.00 well wasted. Same results...

So now I go to check continuity between the relay "power out" pins to the transfer case motor connector. That looked good on both relays.

Then I decide to go to the switch on the dash. Has power going to it; the 3rd wire is the hot wire from 4x4 module. I get battery voltage there. The switch by itself Ohm'ed out perfect in all three positions. So I know its not the switch on the panel.

So just to recap... this 4x4 system is not wanting to ground the relays when switched to either 4x4 mode on dash. New relays, power where it needs it, all fuses checked throughout the system, new 4x4 module, new transfer case motor. I don't know what it can be...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 07:14 PM

have you checked for vacum leaks, front hubs are switch with vacum
Old 11-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

pad, once the transfer case shifts, then the hub lock system activates - so it has an order it goes in. If I could get my transfer case to shift first, then I'm sure the hubs would lock.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 AM

i wonder if there is a way to manually engage the transfer case , pull transfer case motor out and engage that way. i have auto on mine i wanted the manual but you cant get it unless you where to special order it.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:25 PM
information regurgitator

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/att...-work-esof.pdf
Old 11-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NYC, I have been using that same pdf for the last 5 days. When it calls to unplug the connector at the 4x4 control module and probe the pins for voltage or continuity, I'm not sure which ones I am supposed to use. Both connectors to the control module have the same number of pins and look identical... other than one being gray, one being black... and they have numbers associated with them but I can't access the official Ford wiring diagram...
Old 11-10-2013, 09:08 AM
information regurgitator

plugs:

Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM
information regurgitator

Hope this is enough....
Electrical diagrams:

Let me know
Old 11-10-2013, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

NYC, do you have the plug pinout for the control module connectors? I believe Ford calls them c281a and c281b if I remember correctly..
Old 11-10-2013, 11:19 AM
information regurgitator

NOTE: Somehow the site I linked the diagrams from change their link addresses frequently (probably to keep people like me from linking them), so what you see here are not the right diagrams...obviously.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 11-11-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.