'06 F250 new tires now suspension issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2013, 01:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 F250 new tires now suspension issues?

Hi, everyone.
I am in need of some advise about suspension and drivability.
I am driving a '06 F250 CC Lariat, LWB, 6.0 PS, 4x4, all stock, 114.000mls.

Here is the story:
The original Goodyear Wrangler ATS (275/65-20) were worn and I got a set of Firestone Destination AT LTS (same size). These worked

fine on an older Chevy I owned years ago.

Since I got these tires on the truck the backend feels kinda squirrly, weaving around way more then usual when I move the steering

wheel around a few time, at speeds greater than 35mph. I went back to Tiresplus and they checked the alignment again, all bushings,

struts, axles and couldnt find anything worn or loose. Test drove it again and it was still doing it. Then they said it might be the

tires. They ordered Bridgestone Dueller Revo2 and put them on the rear axle (as a test). That didn not change a thing.
So they swapped front and rear which made it worse. Now I am back on all Firestone. They checked the alignment again. Then replaced

the steering damper. Still not any better. The store manager and a teck both agreed that it rolls more than it should and feels

weird, but they seem to think it is the front axle.

I stopped by a shop in town and the tech test drove it and agrees is feels different. He suggested to replace the shocks due to high

milage. He also said that new tires may have softer side walls and that could result in a squirrly (rear end) feeling.

Again for two days the tire store has been working on it and has no idea (said the store manager) what's wrong. I offered to replace

the shocks. I put some Bilstein Shocks on it. Rides better but still has a feeling like the backend is loose.

Neither store can seem to find any worn bushings, struts or anything that may cause this. It has never done that with the original

Wranglers. Could it be that this truch is that picky and really wants the Wranglers??

Any advice, pointers, help or suggestions are appreciated. Maybe there is someone out there that had the same problem, hopefully a

fix, too.

Thanks in advance
FrankEGD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankegd View Post
Hi, everyone.
I am in need of some advise about suspension and drivability.
I am driving a '06 F250 CC Lariat, LWB, 6.0 PS, 4x4, all stock, 114.000mls.

Here is the story:
The original Goodyear Wrangler ATS (275/65-20) were worn and I got a set of Firestone Destination AT LTS (same size). These worked

fine on an older Chevy I owned years ago.

Since I got these tires on the truck the backend feels kinda squirrly, weaving around way more then usual when I move the steering

wheel around a few time, at speeds greater than 35mph. I went back to Tiresplus and they checked the alignment again, all bushings,

struts, axles and couldnt find anything worn or loose. Test drove it again and it was still doing it. Then they said it might be the

tires. They ordered Bridgestone Dueller Revo2 and put them on the rear axle (as a test). That didn not change a thing.
So they swapped front and rear which made it worse. Now I am back on all Firestone. They checked the alignment again. Then replaced

the steering damper. Still not any better. The store manager and a teck both agreed that it rolls more than it should and feels

weird, but they seem to think it is the front axle.

I stopped by a shop in town and the tech test drove it and agrees is feels different. He suggested to replace the shocks due to high

milage. He also said that new tires may have softer side walls and that could result in a squirrly (rear end) feeling.

Again for two days the tire store has been working on it and has no idea (said the store manager) what's wrong. I offered to replace

the shocks. I put some Bilstein Shocks on it. Rides better but still has a feeling like the backend is loose.

Neither store can seem to find any worn bushings, struts or anything that may cause this. It has never done that with the original

Wranglers. Could it be that this truch is that picky and really wants the Wranglers??

Any advice, pointers, help or suggestions are appreciated. Maybe there is someone out there that had the same problem, hopefully a

fix, too.

Thanks in advance
FrankEGD
A couple of things to offer you:

1) all new tires feel squirly for the first 300 to 500 miles. It's very common. Some say its due to the mold release agent used in the manufacturing process.

2) check the air pressure. Running unloaded I would be at 65 psi front and 55 psi rear. Too high or too low will affect the handling.

3) the Goodyear AT/S tires that came on these trucks were pretty crappy, IMO. I dumped mine early and installed Toyo MTs in the same size (also the size you have). I love them and they handle great for a mud tire. Currently have 35K on them and should get another 8K to 10K before they go to the shredder.

Good Luck and report back with your findings.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanj0 View Post
A couple of things to offer you:

1) all new tires feel squirly for the first 300 to 500 miles. It's very common. Some say its due to the mold release agent used in the manufacturing process.

2) check the air pressure. Running unloaded I would be at 65 psi front and 55 psi rear. Too high or too low will affect the handling.

3) the Goodyear AT/S tires that came on these trucks were pretty crappy, IMO. I dumped mine early and installed Toyo MTs in the same size (also the size you have). I love them and they handle great for a mud tire. Currently have 35K on them and should get another 8K to 10K before they go to the shredder.

Good Luck and report back with your findings.
Ok I never had an issue (squirly) like that with new tires, neither on a truck or car. But I've been told that this might be the case here. I tried lowering the tire pressure and that did not change it. Someone else suggested trackbar bushing. Did that, also nothing.
So, now I'll wait what the tire store comes up with. I am just afraid that if I keep the tires and if in about 500 mls they won't change that they might not take them back.

Thank you
FrankEGD
Old 09-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Whats the PSI?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy_GD View Post
Whats the PSI?
Pounds per square inch

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
grassy a$$, although missing an apostrophe the "s" would lead you to assume it reads "what is" and including "the" directs you to wanting information regarding the PSI... now had I forgot "the" and went with "whats PSI" you would be on the right track with the witty response.

Now that we are good and I got a free post, he said he lowered the PSI so I was inquiring on the new number.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Pounds per square inch

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Tried 65, 70 and 75psi all around. None made a difference...

Thx
FrankEGD
Old 09-12-2013, 07:14 PM

Ok, so far I drove about 300mls on the new tires. Today I also replaced the trackbar ball joint. The first test drive shows some signs of improvement. I think it might be from the tires and the fact that thay need to get worn in a bit, like others mentioned earlier.

I will give it a little bit more but I think I migth be ok.

Thanks for all the info and every post regarding this issue.

FrankEGD
Old 09-13-2013, 05:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankegd View Post
Ok, so far I drove about 300mls on the new tires. Today I also replaced the trackbar ball joint. The first test drive shows some signs of improvement. I think it might be from the tires and the fact that thay need to get worn in a bit, like others mentioned earlier.

I will give it a little bit more but I think I migth be ok.

Thanks for all the info and every post regarding this issue.

FrankEGD
Glad things are improving!
Old 11-01-2013, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What's the new tire load range?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.