4wd Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 09:08 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
4wd Help

Hi there, Got a 2005 f350 with the electronic 4wd, if I shift it to 4high or 4 low it will shift and I get the light on the dash etc. Say I then start to go it's still in 2wd and I can still spin the rear end up. If I lock the hubs manually it does nothing still In 2wd.

What are my next steps to diagnose the problem? The transfer case is definatly shifting into 4low and 4 high so I don't think that's the problem. The front prop is turning but the front wheels are not getting any power even with the hubs locked in manually?

Any advise on what to take apart and check next would be great! I gotta get it fixed because my buddy with a dodge is saying what poop fords are!!

Cheers Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2013, 06:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Turn the key on, shift the knob to 4wd, verify the driveshaft doesnt turn (you should be in park and using chocks for this). Once the DS is locked, try turning the u joints in your front steering knuckle. If they turn that means there is a esof issue with the hubs (which we pretty much know you have, but the hubs might have a problem engaging all the way) then manually lock one hub at a time and try turning each axle at the knuckle. If its locked and they turn, your hub is bad. If they both lock properly, youre looking at a diff issue. Put in 2wd and unlock hubs. Makesure driveshaft spins freely. Put a big screwdriver or something in one of the front axle u joints ( something to keep it from moving, long arms you can reach it.) While keeping one held stationary, rotate driveshaft, the other axle should turn if the diff is fuctioning. This will narrow down as to where your problem is.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM

Ok so I checked it out! locks the driveshaft as it should no problem, the front left (drivers side locks out with it selected to auto still,) the passenger side does nothing is still free even if you manually lock it. I assume the hub is bad in the passenger side? As if it's in auto or manually locked its still free. The dust seals are loose and floating about on both sides. I think it could be time to complete a front end overhaul! Am I right in thinking I just need to replace the whole hub assembly?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:08 PM

bump any help anybody?
Old 08-26-2013, 04:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The pass side hub is likely bad, although unlikely, it could be the axle stub(like I said not likely though). Idf the drivers side is locking when its not supposed to thats an issue as well, on your post it doesnt specify if the ESOF switch was set to 4wd. As far as a full rebuild, my understanding is there is a lot of seals or whatever that need to be pressed in and stuff. The kits are also expensive if I recall, although theyre probably not bad compared to a new hub. I think the hubs are about $400 from ford. There might be an off brand that sells them cheaper but I dont know of any or their price/quality. My dust seals are floating too, my dads been a mechanic for over 30 years and said not to worry about it and I live in the desert. Someone else might have better insight on that though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.