Removing front half shafts? HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2013, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Removing front half shafts? HELP

Holy Hell. After hours of swearing and throwing tools, I still don't have my half shafts out to replace the U Joints on the end of the half shaft. Does anyone know where to find a write up (preferably with pictures) or a video? I need help bad, gotta make it outta town to work. So far I got the wheels off, Calipers, Rotors, 4x4 Lockers, snap ring (which was a pita), the four bolts behind the hub, and split the hub, got the front part of the hub off (with the brake dust shield) and now is where im confused/screwed. called autozone (I know big mistake) to see if there was a special tool to take off that spindle that the locker goes over, and the guy told me to take off the ball joint bolts and steering linkage and start beating it down. well I did that and noticed the spindle (that's inside the wheel bearing) start to **** off center. So I stopped, searched online to no avail, and called ford. they wouldn't help me... great. So that's where im at, I threw a hammer thru a wall, and called it a day, hahaha. someone please tell me I didn't mess something up with that spindle being ****ed off center, and tell me what I gotta do to get the half shaft out from where im at. I hear maybe start beating from the backside out? Idk im so lost, and these forums always help. Please, someone pull thru again for me. I can tell you once I do the driver side im going to do the passenger side and do a write up with pics. Ill be on all night, so if you have questions about anything on where im at, ill answer as quick as possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Serving Our Country!

does your truck have a thick seal in the back of the wheel knuckle? And do you have the complete hub assembly out? I'm not sure what year your truck is so I'm not sure if you have the same setup as me (mine is 04). But I know the books and write-ups I found for doing ball joints and such made it look like a fuzzy bunny rabbit can get it out just by looking at it. I know that isn't the case, because I used a brass punch on the backside of the seal with a hammer to get that out, then used a slide hammer to pull out the axle.
Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 AM
Serving Our Country!

I sent you an email with the procedure I use, hope it helps and goodluck
Old 08-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The times that I have done it i have always used a curl bar to get the half shafts out and then I take the knuckle off after. The curl bar give you a lot more leverage on the axle and they should just slide out. Hope this helps

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Serving Our Country!

yea, the procedure I sent him uses a curl bar too, I just never had any luck with it. That's what I meant by when I said "he makes it look so easy" Maybe I just don't have enough meat on my bones to do it..I dunno
Old 08-10-2013, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the input fellas. Got em out. Just had to use a lil ***. Sometimes I get afraid tho cause I tend to break things. Waiting for the passenger side u joints to get pressed out right now (since I about broke a big vice trying to do it now). Taking pictures thru the process and going to do a write up tonight once everything is in and I got all pics taken. Now I just gotta figure out how to do that lol. I'm 24 and know my way around a tool box way better than a computer.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Aight u joints on end of front axel on driver and passenger done!!! not too bad. got pics, and going to be doing a write up later tonight to help out the fellow .orgers
Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have removed the shaft by using 2 c-clamps, on opposite sides of the knuckle to the u-joints on the shaft...twist and remove. The pry bar never worked for me...

Replace the knuckle seal and your o-ring or vacuum/water leakage later!
Old 08-10-2013, 10:23 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Nice! Hopefully you replaced the dust shields with the updated ones...
Old 08-10-2013, 10:33 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I meant dust seals... The outdated ones are all rubber and the new ones have a metal section that's supposed to last a lot longer. Here's a pic of the new ones.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.