Brake Bleeder Saga - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Bleeder Saga

Well here is a little tid bit I learned the hard way. A lot of people will probably read this and think no chit, but hey it took me a while to come to this conclusion. The whole mess started three years ago when I needed brake calipers/pads/discs in the rear and was short on time, so I had the dealership do them. I paid my left leg, got in my truck everything was great until last week.

My truck '07 f250 sits an awful lot due to work and having a company vehicle, so lucky me the right rear brake locked up on me. No biggie I just stopped at my local Advanced Auto on my way home from Texas, got a replacement some DOT 3 and figured life would be great. While bleeding I kept thinking to myself man this looks weird, but the caliper looked like and was installed the same way the other side was which was done at the dealer ship.

Enter soft pedal syndrome. So after bleeding no kidding a gallon of fluid from all corners with a vacuum bleeder and still having the same problem, time to dig deeper. I will spare the details as this is already getting to be a long read (if anyone has made it this far) but, new parts included: 1 master cylinder, 1 break fluid pressure sensor which I broke, 1 hydroboost , 1 rear caliper from autozone.

The solution, BRAKE BLEEDER SCREWS ALWAYS GO AT THE TOP. As luck would have it the dealership had put the calipers on reverse, I copied them not thinking clearly, and both Advance and Autozone had given me the wrong side as far as I can tell.

So I felt pretty dumb especially after the years spent in the gas patch explaining to people how gas or air rises up through fluid. (Easy concept often overlooked as I did. If you don't believe me fill your bathtub up and fart and tell me where the bubbles go.)

Moral of the story, no matter how hard you try a caliper will never bleed out if the bleeder is on the bottom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Man, thanks for sparing someone the time and energy from having to go through that ordeal like you did... BTW, I was laughing about the fart bubble illustration...
Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Live and learn, right? It's unfortunate thought, that the dealer put them in backwards..

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Live and learn is pretty much where I am at. I figured I would post this as I couldn't find anything on this site and hopefully it well help someone out. On the bright side though, I can rest assured that all brake fluid in my system is brand new and hopefully prevents this from returning so soon due to moisture in it.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

And I didn't mean to bash dealer techs as I have seen from posts on this site that prove there are some very good ones. But, whoever did this graduated suma caude done flunky outie, and I committed lemming suicide and followed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.