Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Ball Joints? Steering Gear (replaced)! Still loose!

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RollinEarly99 
#1 ·
Hey Guys...

I know there are a lot of posts about this and i've read through most of them but i can't seem to find the exact answer...

I have an 06 250 and it has extremely loose steering. I messed around with all the front end parts and found nothing loose or clicking. The steering gear seemed to have some play in it when i fiddled with it so I replaced the steering gear (it was leaking pretty good too so it needed to be done) After replacing this my steering is a little bit tighter but not much.

about a year ago i wanted to get the truck aligned and they told me they couldn't do it because my ball joints were bad. While taking the truck apart I noticed that nothing seemed loose. Even jacked up I can't get the front tires to move up or down or even side to side. Can my ball joints still be bad?

What should my next step be?

Thanks for all the help!!

#2 ·
#4 ·
If you were told your ball joints were bad a year ago and you confirmed one is now broken, how did you think they would get better?

D

#5 ·
After I was told it was broken, i took it home to replace them, however wasn't able to move the wheel at all, not even with pry-bars. In all experiences I have ever had with ball joints, you could determine they were broken by moving the wheel or at least prying on it. When I couldn't I decided not to take everything apart since they seemed fine. I replaced them last week and still have steering play.

I didn't "think they would get better" but thanks for the sarcasm...

#8 ·
Have someone turn the wheel as you watch both the steering shaft and the pitman arm. If there is movement being lost inside the steering box (steering shaft moves but pitman arm doesn't) then the steering box just needs adjustment. Look on top of the steering box and you'll see a locking nut in the middle. Use a 5/8 open ended wrench (I think) and loosen it first, then hold the threaded rod with an Allen wrench and loosen the nut about 45* degrees (1/4 turn) and tighten the Allen head down until it stops then tighten the nut with the socket and recheck for play. If there is still play but its getting better, turn the nut again another 1/4 turn. Don't turn the Allen head and locking nut to far or you could WILL damage the steering box. I would take the truck for a short test drive before re-adjusting because its serious chit if you go to far! Be careful and use this information at your own risk!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.