Ball Joints? Steering Gear (replaced)! Still loose! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ball Joints? Steering Gear (replaced)! Still loose!

Hey Guys...

I know there are a lot of posts about this and i've read through most of them but i can't seem to find the exact answer...

I have an 06 250 and it has extremely loose steering. I messed around with all the front end parts and found nothing loose or clicking. The steering gear seemed to have some play in it when i fiddled with it so I replaced the steering gear (it was leaking pretty good too so it needed to be done) After replacing this my steering is a little bit tighter but not much.

about a year ago i wanted to get the truck aligned and they told me they couldn't do it because my ball joints were bad. While taking the truck apart I noticed that nothing seemed loose. Even jacked up I can't get the front tires to move up or down or even side to side. Can my ball joints still be bad?

What should my next step be?

Thanks for all the help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2013, 02:02 PM

Is your truck lifted at all?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 07-31-2013, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Its Leveled, but not lifted. I was just toying with it. Prying on the wheels to try and move the ball joints. It seems my passenger side upper ball joint is broken...I'm going to do those next I think.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you were told your ball joints were bad a year ago and you confirmed one is now broken, how did you think they would get better?

D
Old 08-20-2013, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

After I was told it was broken, i took it home to replace them, however wasn't able to move the wheel at all, not even with pry-bars. In all experiences I have ever had with ball joints, you could determine they were broken by moving the wheel or at least prying on it. When I couldn't I decided not to take everything apart since they seemed fine. I replaced them last week and still have steering play.

I didn't "think they would get better" but thanks for the sarcasm...
Old 08-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Did you watch your steering parts with someone else moving the wheel? If those are tight, get a pry bar on the suspension bushings and see if those are loose.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 08-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are your bushings in good shape in your trailing arms?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 09-14-2013, 01:20 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Have someone turn the wheel as you watch both the steering shaft and the pitman arm. If there is movement being lost inside the steering box (steering shaft moves but pitman arm doesn't) then the steering box just needs adjustment. Look on top of the steering box and you'll see a locking nut in the middle. Use a 5/8 open ended wrench (I think) and loosen it first, then hold the threaded rod with an Allen wrench and loosen the nut about 45* degrees (1/4 turn) and tighten the Allen head down until it stops then tighten the nut with the socket and recheck for play. If there is still play but its getting better, turn the nut again another 1/4 turn. Don't turn the Allen head and locking nut to far or you could WILL damage the steering box. I would take the truck for a short test drive before re-adjusting because its serious chit if you go to far! Be careful and use this information at your own risk!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.