Rear Diff Question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rear Diff Question

Hi there,

Did my first pull tonight, and it didn't turn out so good. My left rear tire didn't have much power, and my right rear tire was full of mud and dirt, as well as both front, but my left rear was dry, and looked clean. I talked to a mechanic and he said it may just need to have the diff fluid changed, any other opinions on what it could be? I need to get this fixed within the next week hopefully so I can hook again! Only pulled 135, because I got sucked to the right side too far.

Thanks guys, any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sounds like you need a locker.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchuricht View Post
Sounds like you need a locker.
+1

if you have a limited slip in the rear you are just burning the clutch packs up
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 AM

ya the stock limited slip unit definately leaves room for improvement.
the right tire spins great the left rear usually does next to nothing lol
Old 07-27-2013, 02:53 AM

Okay, and what is a good brand to run that won't kill the bank? Just got up and need to get this done asap! Are they hard to do in a 06? Stock rear end as far as im aware!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 07-27-2013, 04:10 AM
Premium Member

You're mechanic suggested a fluid change would fix it?

If you daily drive your truck you may want to consider a selectable locker, one that you can control when it locks both tires together. ARB makes a great product. "Auto" lockers will be cheaper but won't have the road manners an open or limited slip would have. Some people don't even notice and others can't stand the auto lockers constant engagement/disengagement (which could be a result of inconsistent tire pressure or tire wear). Either way, if you have to ask how hard it is to install... you should probably leave this job to a reputable shop or if you have a buddy with experience setting up gears to shadow you the first time.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotta_gofast View Post
You're mechanic suggested a fluid change would fix it?

If you daily drive your truck you may want to consider a selectable locker, one that you can control when it locks both tires together. ARB makes a great product. "Auto" lockers will be cheaper but won't have the road manners an open or limited slip would have. Some people don't even notice and others can't stand the auto lockers constant engagement/disengagement (which could be a result of inconsistent tire pressure or tire wear). Either way, if you have to ask how hard it is to install... you should probably leave this job to a reputable shop or if you have a buddy with experience setting up gears to shadow you the first time.
Yes, He is a diesel mechanic for diesel doctor. He said its common is 6.0Ls for the rear diff fluid to be bad. Don't know when it was changed last. I will be using it as a daily drive and a pull truck. I have the tools and the means to do it, just not sure if it was really hard in the 06 or not, hoping it would be easy.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2013, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballbryce View Post
Yes, He is a diesel mechanic for diesel doctor. He said its common is 6.0Ls for the rear diff fluid to be bad. Don't know when it was changed last. I will be using it as a daily drive and a pull truck. I have the tools and the means to do it, just not sure if it was really hard in the 06 or not, hoping it would be easy.

Thanks!
Without sounding like an a hole your diesel mechanic should stick to the engines. There is no amount of diff fluid changing that is going to increase the amount of material on your frictions(you have steels and frictions) in your clutch packs. That was one of the dumbests things i have ever heard. As the material wears off the frictions the ability to engage both axles drops. The cheap way is to rebuild the clutch packs and put an extra friction in on each side( in place of a steel). Its still not going to last forever but its a poor mans locker
Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSmitty View Post
Without sounding like an a hole your diesel mechanic should stick to the engines. There is no amount of diff fluid changing that is going to increase the amount of material on your frictions(you have steels and frictions) in your clutch packs. That was one of the dumbests things i have ever heard. As the material wears off the frictions the ability to engage both axles drops. The cheap way is to rebuild the clutch packs and put an extra friction in on each side( in place of a steel). Its still not going to last forever but its a poor mans locker
Without more context from the mechanic it's hard to know what he thought the oil change would solve. That being said, it's not uncommon to have the OEM limited slip in these trucks begin working better after a fluid change. The reason being is that the factory fill usually has too much limited slip additive so people dont complain about the truck handling funky around corners, noise from the rear end, or barking the inside tire during sharp slow speed turns. Remember many trucks are used lightly and most wouldnt know if their LS was working or not.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

When asking for recommendations about a differential that won't break the bank, a selectable locker doesn't qualify in my opinion. You're looking at about a grand for an ARB. Ford Sterling 10.5"

The clutches in a Trac-Lock are consumables, I would get a repack kit from Randy's and get to work, it's not that hard. True Tracs are rumored to be good but I hate mine. The fact is, I wish I would have spent the extra money on a Detroit Locker and been done with it. These trucks are long enough, wide enough, and heavy enough that you probably wouldn't know it was there in normal driving. I have one in a 14 bolt in a half ton with 38s, it's fine.

I recommend doing a clutch pack set, then shop around for Detroit Locker.

Last edited by Karls03; 08-05-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.