04 250 Vibrations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 250 Vibrations

Hey y'all. I'm about at my wits end trying to figure out this vibration in my truck...it is making me not want to drive the damn thing.

When I reach 45 mph the rear end hops so bad it feels like the tires are going to bounce off the ground. It smooths out a little with speed, but never completely goes away. I can watch my tailgate going back and forth in the rear view on the highway. There is also a slight rocking motion in the steering wheel. But I think it's due to the same thing.

That being said, I have had tires balanced, and replaced carrier bearing in drive shaft. U-joints were good when I replaced carrier bearing but truck does have 188k miles.

I don't know what to do with this thing....any comments or opinions are welcome, I have a trip coming up and I need this thing to ride better! I'm happy to provide any more details I can.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Also, does anyone know of a place that will balance drive shafts near Auburn, AL? Im thinking im gonna pull the drive shaft, drive it with the front wheels, and see if it goes away. That should tell me whether its the tires or drive train. But I wanna have a place set up if I need to get some work done.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
your positive the u joints are good? what about the slip yoke. put it in neutral once it starts to roll put the e brake on and leave it in Neutral then check the joints
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM

You can still have a dead/heavy spot in the tire. when the tire hits that spot, it doesnt compress at the same rate as the rest of the tire and causes a tramp Sometimes having your tires balances and O.E. matched will correct this, or you may have a bad tire.

O.E. matching lines the high spot in the tire with the low spot in the wheel to cancel each other out. then there is a number called road force variation that will tell you "this spot of the tire takes X amount of pounds extra to compress" the closest to zero is the best. for a car we like to see less than 10 and trucks are a crap shoot. the worst i ever saw was 142 or something like that on a huge tire.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike6996 View Post
You can still have a dead/heavy spot in the tire. when the tire hits that spot, it doesnt compress at the same rate as the rest of the tire and causes a tramp Sometimes having your tires balances and O.E. matched will correct this, or you may have a bad tire.

O.E. matching lines the high spot in the tire with the low spot in the wheel to cancel each other out. then there is a number called road force variation that will tell you "this spot of the tire takes X amount of pounds extra to compress" the closest to zero is the best. for a car we like to see less than 10 and trucks are a crap shoot. the worst i ever saw was 142 or something like that on a huge tire.
that truck probably shoulda had a good number of dyna beads.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTractorsSexy View Post
that truck probably shoulda had a good number of dyna beads.

Ive only ever seen beads used a couple times.

Normally if we got a tire with Road Force Variations like that, we would O.E. match it as low as possible, test drive it and recommend a new tire if it still had high harmonics.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What kind of tire balancer did they use. The older ones are not even remotely close to the new ones. I went through a similar situation and had them rebalanced on a newer dynamic machine and all four showed anywhere from 66-128lbs of road force on stock tires. Gave me a good excuse to get my 35's.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post
What kind of tire balancer did they use. The older ones are not even remotely close to the new ones. I went through a similar situation and had them rebalanced on a newer dynamic machine and all four showed anywhere from 66-128lbs of road force on stock tires. My wife didn't really enjoy the bouncing around but I kinda did. :p Gave me a good excuse to get my 35's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.