Knuckle seal questions. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Knuckle seal questions.

Hello all. I'm in the process of fixing an axle leak on my 05. I've gotten my unit bearing out and am now trying to get the axle shaft out of the knuckle. There is that big seal in the knuckle and I don't know which way to try and knock it out. What's the best way to do this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

drive it into the knuckle from the outside ( between the knuckle and axle tube drive it into where the unit bearing was )

air chisel works nice trying to reuse them not so nice LOL

takes a special tool to install
Old 06-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Premium Member

So I need to hammer it from the axle side of the knuckle outward?
Old 06-12-2013, 04:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

yea..they are a PITA. I use a brass punch and a hammer and just go to town on it. New ones cost like $35 or so..and you'll need a special tool to reinstall it, or build your own special tool. Has to go in evenly. Or if by some chance you take the knuckle off and decide to do ball joints, some of the Techs at the ford dealers are nice. They installed my knuckle seal and 2 new ball joints for $20. That was before I bought the tool myself
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxusmc View Post
yea..they are a PITA. I use a brass punch and a hammer and just go to town on it. New ones cost like $35 or so..and you'll need a special tool to reinstall it, or build your own special tool. Has to go in evenly. Or if by some chance you take the knuckle off and decide to do ball joints, some of the Techs at the ford dealers are nice. They installed my knuckle seal and 2 new ball joints for $20. That was before I bought the tool myself
Sweet, I'm gonna go give er hell. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

I still cannot get that seal out. If I try to hit the back of the seal with a punch I will hit the metal stub shaft. It's like a big flange. ANy ideas on how to get this thing out?
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM

i turned the wheel so the backside of the knuckle was wide open and i used an air chisel

i tried beating it out first but it was being a pain

some folks put a block against the axle and seal and turn the wheel to push the seal out
Old 06-15-2013, 03:19 PM

that seal has metal in it so don't let that confuse you with hitting the stub shaft
Old 06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
that seal has metal in it so don't let that confuse you with hitting the stub shaft
THanks man. I got it with a sledge and brass punch going in around that metal part of the seal. Thought that was part of my axle shaft this whole time haha.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When i have to pull the axle shaft out of my truck to work on the ball joints or replace the exploded outer axle shaft (like I'm currently waiting on the new shaft to fix it) that used to be a huge PITA for me, but a Ford tech buddy of mine showed me a simple 10 second way to pop it out. Take 2 large pry bars and place them on the lip of the inner axle shaft (where the dust seal is for the axle tube, there is a lip of metal on the axle shaft that the seal sits against) and push the pry bar handle towards the frame, this will make the axle shafts and that vacuum seal pop out like a dream with no damage. Hope this helps. First time I did ball joints it took a good 30-45mins of beating with a hammer and I destroyed the seal in the process. Now with this trick it takes longer to get the tools out of the box than it does to pop out the axle shaft and seal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.