4wd just seems dead, not working. Searched with no luck! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 06:19 PM
KCCO

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 4wd just seems dead, not working. Searched with no luck!

So I have searched and searched all morning long, and I either am not searching for the right keywords (I'm not new to forums and generally have good luck finding the information I need), or am just plain retarded. I can't find anything as to why my 4x4 is not working.

When I flip the switch on the dash, nothing happens. Plain and simple. I have tried the hubs in free/auto, and lock/lock. Nothing. When I turn the key on, the 4x4 dash lights do not turn on, but when I am starting the truck, the 4x4 and 4lo lights will come on for about 2 seconds and then shut off, so the bulbs aren't burned out.

I have replaced the relays under the hood with known good ones and they work. I have also placed those same relays in the heater blower motor spot and they both click then, so relays are good. I have checked every fuse I could check and everything seems to be ok with the fuses.

When I flip the 4x4 selector switch, nothing lights up, nothing makes a noise, a click, a "ku-clunk", nothing.

I pulled the switch out of the dash, there are 4 wires going to it. I checked one, and found out it was for the lights, another one was black, which I believe is the ground, then I have two more wires, and neither one of those wires have power, so I am guessing that no power is even being sent throuh the switch to even try and activate the transfercase.

Anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem may be or things to check that I have overlooked? It's driving me crazy!

OH! By the way, when I bought the truck 3 weeks I tested the 4x4 and everything worked as it should. 2wd, 4wd, 4lo, in, out, everything was good. The only thing I have done to the truck since then, was turn the hubs back to free/auto, and do the high idle mod, and fog light mod. That's all I've done.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

UPDATE!!! It works!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replaced the 4wd module (GEM) and my 4wd works again!!! Apparently it's pretty common on these trucks for the windshield to leak...right onto the module and causes problems. Well I finally replaced the module and it works! No programming was required at all either!

I pulled apart the old module and sure enough, you could see the water damage and corrosion.

For future reference to people, Check this first!!! lol. save yourself the headache and frustrations!!! It takes 2 minutes to remove and 10 seconds to pop open and check for corrosion.

Case CLOSED!!!

Last edited by KMC_A55; 09-12-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Problem fixed, no sense in reading so many posts...lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2013, 01:32 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Did you accidentally break, pull out, cut, ground out or use a wrong wire when doing the high idle mod? I'm pretty sure there isn't a fuseable link for the 4x4.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:40 AM
KCCO

I don't think I did. I was pretty careful when doing it. I reckon I could pull the fuse block back out and double check things, but all I did was drop the fuse block, pull the one harness out of the back of it, cut the one wire, ground it, and make sure it worked. I checked it and everything seemed to work ok. I'll double check the fuse block though. Thanks for the suggestion! Every idea helps!
Old 06-16-2013, 03:44 AM
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMC_A55 View Post
I don't think I did. I was pretty careful when doing it. I reckon I could pull the fuse block back out and double check things, but all I did was drop the fuse block, pull the one harness out of the back of it, cut the one wire, ground it, and make sure it worked. I checked it and everything seemed to work ok. I'll double check the fuse block though. Thanks for the suggestion! Every idea helps!
The above is actually what I did for the fog light mod. For the high idle I just found the wire tucked up under the dash, tied it into the other wire that the instructions said (also tucked under the dash) and touched them together and tested the mod. Once I was satisfied it worked, just put it on a switch.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:18 PM
KCCO

So after checking every fuse again, and checking everything that I could, still no luck. However. I did discover that fuse 31 has no power going to it. According to my manual, fuse 31 has some big description about transmission something or another, and ends with... ,4x4. What exactly does this fuse power? I'm thinking maybe this has something to do with my issue?

Edit: After posting this and reading more online, I seem to have come to the conclusion that fuse 31 is only hot when the key is in the "start" position and actually starting the truck

Last edited by KMC_A55; 06-18-2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: found more info
Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 PM
KCCO

Update

Ok, I am still having issues with this but I have an update! I will try my best to describe what i discovered, but I also tried to draw a couple pictures to better help explain what I am talking about.

I now know for a fact that my transfer case shift motor is working.

If I pull both 4x4 relays from the relay block under the hood, and test this with a test light, terminals 86 and 87 test as hot terminals. Terminal 87a tests as a ground, and terminals 30 and 85 give no light whether tested as hot or ground. See the picture for a better explanation.

Ok, with the relays still removed from the block, I can take a jumper wire and jump terminals 30 and 87 and the transfer case shift motor operates. I test the other relay terminals and same thing. One relay operates the motor in one direction, and other relay operates motor in the other direction. Again, see picture for example.

Now, with both relays reinstalled in the relay block, I slightly pull up on the relays so that they are still installed, however I can reach in and touch the terminals with a probe. When I do this, if I touch terminal 85 with a grounded probe, the shift motor operates as it should. Touching terminal 85 on one relay engages 4wd, and touching terminal 85 on the other relay disengages 4wd.

I am not quite sure what all this means, other than I know for a fact my relays are good, and I know that my shift motor is good. What else can I check? This is killing me! Today I pulled off on the side of the interstate to help a guy change a flat tire and the side median was a little softer than I thought. Needless to say, after helping the guy change his tire, he had to hook up to me and tow me out because I was stuck!

Please powerstroke.org, help me make sure I never have to be pulled out by a Dodge again!
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM
KCCO

Somebody has to be smarter than me and can give some advice on what to look for.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:51 PM
KCCO

Anybody?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:34 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's either your switch or the wiring from your relays to the switch. I'd start by checking the resistants of the wires from the relay to the switch. Might find that the ohms are off the charts on one of the wires and that is likely your problem. You could jump the wires at the back of the switch (bypassing the switch) and if you get the 4x4 to engage and disengage then I would replace the switch.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 AM
KCCO

What do I do to jump the wires at the back of the switch? One wire is ground, another is for the light, and that leaves the two middle wires. Do I just jump the two middle wires? If so, that didn't do anything. Or am I suppose to jump one of those middle wires with the ground? I was thinking that one of those wires is suppose to be hot coming in, and as you turn the switch, each position has different resistance that sends down the other wire to move the case to the desired position. Neither wire is hot though.

And as far as checking resistance of the wires from the relay to the switch, where should I start? Do you have a wiring diagram that you could post(and maybe point out exactly what wires to check) I think I have thought about this too long and my brain is fried on figuring things out. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.