U joint bad - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
U joint bad

I discovered I have a bad U joint on the passinger side front axle, I have 170,000 mile on my truck and have been told with that mileage to replace u joints, ball joints,and bearing assembly on both sides! does everyone agree, and how much should that cost for parts, how difficult a job is it ? Truck is an 05 and I think while doing this I'll replace the auto hubs with manual ?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2013, 04:08 AM

I've been pricing the bearing assmeblies Wew !!! anyone know where the best place to order them from ?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

Well, with the auto hubs, I'd recommend staying with Motorcraft/FordMoCo parts. I've used others and had them fail prematurely. It does get pricey though with 2 new hubs, U-Joints, balls joints and you'll also need a new "Inner Axle Seal" I think its called. It fits into the steering knuckle on either side and has a "thrust" washer between the hub assy. That's how the "auto" works. Around here they're like $30/ea. I'm not sure if you can buy a less expensive assembly if you plan on using Manual lockers. I installed my Warns with the hub assy in place. Just blocked off my vacuum lines so I didn't have a leak and run it just like any other manual locker on the road now.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just did my drivers side wheel bearing at $400 for the part and ordered 2 brand new Ford hubs at $290. Wheel bearing alone will take about 1.5 hrs but you will need to go deeper to pull the axle.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

In my experience working on these hubs..get yourself a nice Slide Hammer with the axle puller kit. I think I rented mine from autozone or oreilys last time. And that Seal behind the hub assy is a PITA. I usually use a brass punch and beat the crap out of it..for awhile. Then attach the slide hammer and give it a tug or 2..axle will come out and it will be like replacing U-Joints on a drive shaft. If you don't have a seal installer..or a press, I'd recommend taking your steering knuckles with the new seals to a ford dealer and pay them a few bucks to press them in for you. I installed 1 incorrectly once..and my new hub assembly only lasted a few months. Other than that seal, its a very easy job though, expensive, but easy.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 AM

OEM is Timken

Auto zone / Amazon Etc sell them

The large knuckle seal is like 5o bucks and takes a special driver to install
the " inner axle seal is way inside the axle tube near the differential

it would be nice to change them also but those are a little challenging for a novice.

they do not sell a manual hubs other than the OEM ( they look identical ) for 03-07 without doing a unit bearing conversion ( that I have seen ) but since your hubs are made by warn and they have a manual option you don't need to swap them if you were to want a just manual option and did away with the vacuum select

for all other parts like ball joints / u joints make sure you get servicable units with zerk fittings
Old 05-07-2013, 07:37 AM
Serving Our Country!

I thought I had the name of that seal wrong. Just glad I explained its location well enough for you to realize which one I meant. My Warns only took about 15 minutes total to install. I took out the OEM vacuum hubs, disconnected the vacuum lines, plugged them up and secured them to my frame. Then I installed the Warn lockers with a pair of pliers and an allen key. Have not had a problem with them living in a snow belt in NY. Just have to climb out of the truck to engage/disengage 4-wheel drive instead of using my ESOF
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 AM

Not sure what year the op has looks like o5 so I think he has the larger later knuckle seal and internals
but 05-07 your only option is OEM hubs however they have a manual version but it's the same hub without the internal diaphragm and external lettering ( no auto position) so not worth the money

curious what hub you found ? for the 04 ?

the 03-04 knuckle seal is harder to install than the 05-07 since the early one needs set to the proper depth and the later just bottoms out
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 AM

ohh that knuckle seal can be a pain

there is a trick to try and save it using a wood block but I just air chiseled mine out from the back since it was leaking
Old 05-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

The Warn part number I have is 11690. To get it to fit perfectly, I just had the bend the retaining clip with pliers. They have premium ones that are built a bit better that install the same way, but my auto store didn't have them. And my driver side OEM hub fell apart when I was trying to lock it into manual during a snowstorm. Needed new ones ASAP.

Everytime I replaced my knuckle seal its been because the hub assy has blown. Tore up the seal and everything around it..so I just beat the crap out of it until it pops out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.