what is that noise? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry what is that noise?

I've got a 2003 f350 powerstroke. It's got 27k on it and is in beautiful shape. Until today...driving home from work started when I hearing a noise that I thought was a rock in my tire. When I started slowing down I could hear what sounded like metal tossing around that slowed when I did. Couldn't hear it at high speeds just when slowing down. Then the truck started shifting with a clunk from 2nd to 3rd. Getting frustrated just got the truck a week ago and already problems...anybody have any idea what is going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 03:37 PM
Serving Our Country!

when I buy a new vehicle, I like to do my own fluid changes to manufacturers spec. Several reasons for this, 1..I know I'm good for XXXX miles depending on the fluid changed and 2...I can see if there is debris, shavings, coolant, water..whatever in the fluid I changed out so I know what to look for..and change or send back to a dealer (if I bought it from there) for repairs. I'd recommend doing the same, its real inexpensive compared to replacing an automatic transmission, transfer case, or rear axle. That should pinpoint your problem though.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

While reading this, before I got to the part that you said it was shifting funny, I would have bet my last dollar on front wheel bearing. But the shifting part threw me off. Might be 2 separate problems, that just happened at the same time.

I would at least, Jack up the front end and see if there is any slop or movement in your hubs. Then also drain trans fluid, change filters, and see if there any material in your trans pan magnet...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM

The metal noise is coming from under the cab, it is definetly shifting hard from 2nd to 3rd. When it shifts its got a little hesitation then a clunk, sounds like if you had something in the bed and it slammed against the tail gate.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:43 PM

Got the truck back from Ford today they said it has a bad icp sensor. They seem to think this is what's causing the shifting problem. Why would I hear a clunk in the rear end if its the icp sensor? They also said that its normal to have a little bit of a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. This doesn't seem normal to me, this is the first powerstroke that I've owned, but my boss of 15 years has always owned them and I don't ever remember any of them shifting hard like this. Getting the sensor on Wednesday, hope it fixes this mess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clunk, metal, noise, shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.